Article: How I Make Qantas Reward Availability Work for Me

AFF Editor

Established Member
Editor
How I Make Qantas Reward Availability Work for Me is an article written by the AFF editorial team:

You can leave a comment or discuss this topic below.

I love this article. It doesn’t engage in needless Qantas-bashing, but it clearly articulates the truth that Qantas points are not the wisest FF currency to accumulate if long-haul flights to Europe or North America are the goal.

I’ve saved thousands over the last few years redeeming Qantas points for business class travel within Australia, and have also managed to use Qantas points for a couple of fun “aspirational” bookings (eg. JFK-HND in JAL first class, and SIN-MEL in Emirates first class).

I’ve added the article to my Reading List and next time someone complains that “QFF is a scam because there are no business class flights to London available” or the like, I’ll suggest they read it!

Good article.

In fairness to the typical program user, you can understand why they get frustrated with the program. For large numbers of people, premium cabins on long-haul routes are the point of points accumulation (whether aided by Qantas marketing or not). There is a massive, massive cohort who don't really care about most of the routes listed in that article — they don't have much interest in a business class seat on a 3 hour flight to NZ or domestic flight within the US* — but do care about getting a business class seat for the 24 hour trek to Europe/North America. Indeed, that help explains why there is no availability — that's where all the demand is!

It's cold comfort to tell someone that they can use their points on this other thing that they have no interest in.

* And some of the better routes listed in this article are fleeting — eg the SYD-JNB route is currently experiencing great award availability due to the upgauge, but has historically been a very hard route to find premium cabin availability.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back