Article: The Cheapest Flights from Australia to New York

AFF Editor

Established Member
Editor
The Cheapest Flights from Australia to New York is an article written by the AFF editorial team:

You can leave a comment or discuss this topic below.

I'm a big fan of the HNL stop, especially westbound. If I'm not flying J that's how I do it, overnight in HNL then an easy day flight home.

Not on JQ though. You can usually get pretty good prices on QF, and it's a good route to book with points.

It's going to be even better with HA in oneworld, lately I have taken a few flights with them (HNL-LAS).

Is it correct that status will allow a pax to bring luggage when purchasing a "lite" or "no luggage" fare? I didn't think that that was the case.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Is it correct that status will allow a pax to bring luggage when purchasing a "lite" or "no luggage" fare? I didn't think that that was the case.

It depends on the airline. I believe most of the US airlines allow this if you have relevant status. Obviously not Jetstar though, and there are also various exceptions with airlines such as Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, Avianca and British Airways (although they aren't really relevant here).

We’re having an interesting experience getting from New York to Melbourne using Q economy classic reward seats. I’m writing this from Q club in AKL.

The first battle was to find CR seats! Nothing when looking up New York to Melbourne, nothing New York to Sydney (starting to curse), I’ll try splitting the legs and look up JFK - AKL - success!. This flight gets in at 6am so we were able to get another Q reward seat booked separately on the AKl - Mel leg departing at 9am. Then about 2 months before the trip QANTAS call to say they are discontinuing the 9am service😡

The next Q flight is 2pm so we reluctantly decided to cop the long layover. Why are QANTAS flights to Mel out of AKL so rare?? There is another at 6.10 am but no good for the connection from New York.
So we get to the Q counter at JFK - can’t get our boarding passes for the AKL- Mel leg. The system won’t allow (presumably because check-in hadn’t yet opened) but how silly that the staff member could not override. As it turned out our baggage did go through even though we were told we would have to collect and recheck.

But for some positives, good flight from JFK (got in 45 early). Excellent service from a couple of good natured, efficient Kiwi flight attendants. Auckland airport is impressive. Modern, well organised, good facilities and cheerful staff. And a good benefit from all my credit card hacking is I linked a couple of passes to Qantas Club so at least we are waiting
in some comfort.

Hopefully we will have no issues on the AKL - Melb flight…

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back