ATO (tax office) payments by credit card

I think they look at it in terms of a 24 hour period. IME, that seems to work but then again, it's not always the case, seems a bit random. I tend to use the "24 hour" rule when making these payments - the ATO sure is making this harder in their fight against "fraud" - I'm not sure why you would try it on with the ATO for fraud - kinda like painting a target on your back. There may be something I'm missing here though ... YMMV.

Got a chunky personal ATO bill to pay and can't pay through a business, so any services requiring an ABN are out.

From the reading of the thread, it looks like AMEX via Sniip might be the best bet but from my calcs it seems marginal...

~2c/pp transferring into AMEX partners or ~2.4c/pp transferring to MB partners (waiting for a 50% transfer bonus out of AMEX). For a lot of points currencies, that's getting close to the rate you can just buy them when they offer purchase bonuses 🤔.

Anything I'm missing?

Got a chunky personal ATO bill to pay and can't pay through a business, so any services requiring an ABN are out.

From the reading of the thread, it looks like AMEX via Sniip might be the best bet but from my calcs it seems marginal...

~2c/pp transferring into AMEX partners or ~2.4c/pp transferring to MB partners (waiting for a 50% transfer bonus out of AMEX). For a lot of points currencies, that's getting close to the rate you can just buy them when they offer purchase bonuses 🤔.

Anything I'm missing?
If you can get hold of the variable load mastercard/visa when they are on a 10x points offer at Woolies, go for it.

Very dufficult to find them in Sydney...had to go to multiple stores...eventually got 20x $500 :)
The happiness when you finally find them after visiting multiple stores :D
Post automatically merged:

If you're unable to find the variable load cards at Coles/Woolies, another option is to purchase the Coles Mastercard Digital Gift Cards No Purchase Fees for $100 and $250 Coles Mastercard Digital Gift Cards @ Giftcards.com.au ... purchase appears as Retail & Personal on my cc ... I paid my tax last week ... 0.2% ATO surcharge for MasterCard Debit
This is my fallback scenario if I can't find any gift cards.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back