Best Australian Bank

Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Sapphire
Star Alliance
Gold
Looking for recommendations - without providing financial advice, obviously 😉😜 - for an Australian bank

Having all sorts of issues with CommBank. Bureaucratic, insufferably conservative with credit card limits, etc etc etc. Applied for an increase in my CC limit today and, despite a $400k+ salary, largely rejected (I understand the criteria and our situation should warrant an increase)

My main bank is HSBC and weirdly they are faaaaaar easier to deal with 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I use a second bank for ‘redundancy’ with a small percentage of my salary being deposited each fortnight and a credit card just in case my primary banking option is compromised (me, as much as them)

Any insights greatly appreciated

Hi,

1. UBank also good interest rate for up to $250k savings. There's also a small referral fee for new user signup.

2. ING good interest rate for up to $100k savings, there's a $125 referral (referrer and referee) going on.

I'd say Ubank is one of the better/simpler bank with a good banking app too.

Otherwise, I have bank accounts with all the big 4 banks. Can't say any of the big 4 are the best.

Have accounts with all 4 big banks and 2 others. ANZ is the only one not to stuff me around unduly in last 20 years. However, their home lending criteria usually tighter than others - not sure about cc criteria.

Hi,

1. UBank also good interest rate for up to $250k savings. There's also a small referral fee for new user signup.

2. ING good interest rate for up to $100k savings, there's a $125 referral (referrer and referee) going on.

I'd say Ubank is one of the better/simpler bank with a good banking app too.

Otherwise, I have bank accounts with all the big 4 banks. Can't say any of the big 4 are the best.
Ubank (and ING*) have the advantage also of providing international transaction fee free debit cards.

NAB (also owns UBank) has some interesting CCs promos at the moment. Whilst they’ve announced they’re increasing the int tx fee to 3.5%, their NAB Rewards cards are supposed to be int tx fee free.

Have you looked at AMEX?

*ING have some hoops and jumps to get several benefits that can be a turn off. But they do also have a CC that’s fee free.

Have accounts with all 4 big banks and 2 others. ANZ is the only one not to stuff me around unduly in last 20 years. However, their home lending criteria usually tighter than others - not sure about cc criteria.
Thanks. Mrs V has ANZ, in addition to HSBC, so as a preference I’d prefer an alternative but looking at their online-only offering.

Ubank (and ING*) have the advantage also of providing international transaction fee free debit cards.

NAB (also owns UBank) has some interesting CCs promos at the moment. Whilst they’ve announced they’re increasing the int tx fee to 3.5%, their NAB Rewards cards are supposed to be int tx fee free.

Have you looked at AMEX?

*ING have some hoops and jumps to get several benefits that can be a turn off. But they do also have a CC that’s fee free.
Thanks

Have the Amex Plat and Reserve. Happy with that.

I like the Commbank Ultimate but the credit limit they’re offering is very limiting for international travel. Non of the big 4 seem to offer a comparable product. I’m tempted to ditch it and just suck-up the 3% with another card.

I’ll have a look at NAB & U Bank though. Thank you
Post automatically merged:

Have you looked at AMEX?
Sorry, just realized that I posted in the Amex forum - didn’t mean to do that. Poor tech skills 🙄

We moved from ANZ to Macquarie Bank a few years ago for our business banking.
We subsequently moved our personal banking there.
Zero fee accounts, zero fees to use ATMS, great overseas transaction rates, amazing interest rates for our business cash holdings.
Only regret I have is that I didn't move earlier!

Zero fee accounts, zero fees to use ATMS, great overseas transaction rates, amazing interest rates for our business cash holdings.
What interest are you getting on Biz cash? I resorted to opening a parallel NabTrade account that has 4.5% even though the company has never bought nor sold a share…😉

We actually moved away from Macquarie. Good, right up until there was a problem. Utterly, utterly appalling to deal with. Family member had their account hacked. Macquarie were complete ar**h***s. AFCA involved. They said the matter would be resolved within the week had it been Commbank (for example). It took 12mths to resolve and resulted in Macquarie losing the case and paying compensation. But completely unnecessary. They seem to apply their corporate banking ethos to retail banking. Wouldn’t touch them with a 30ft pole. And, I’m led to believe that they’re not even signatories to some of the Australian electronic banking codes. Buyer beware!!

Oh that is terrible to hear.
I do carefully assess this type of move and I saw many many of your type of issues occurring with the big 4.
Ironic. That’s why we went to Macquarie in the first place …. to avoid having to deal with the Big 4 🙄. Macquarie appeared to be innovative, with good tech and commercially agile. But the experience of this (close) family member was an eye opener. Account compromised and all funds lost through no fault of the account holder. Macquarie appeared to have incredibly immature security protocols (or just lazy & inept🤷🏻‍♂️) and allowed funds to be siphoned out of the account despite being alerted by the recipient bank that the transactions were suspicious and possibility fraudulent 😳. Extraordinary and ultimately ‘the system’ agreed with the account holder. But a traumatic 12mths for them.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back