Best value redemption

Gareth

Hi I have a lot of Altitude Reward Points, wondering what ppl usual redeem with them that is good value, I notice there is a bonus 15% t/f to velocity but my rough calls suggests (as I assume with all transfers) be a loss in value for me (based on say one way domestic flights) compared to buying gift cards.

my altitude pts is sitting near 1 mil and i am trying to figure out what to do with it too.
0.416 to asiamiles/Krisflyer
0.479 to velocity with this promo
(I wish I made it qantas so I'd be getting 0.75)

45000 asiamiles for syd - hkg in business one way + taxes

45000 * 3 = 135000 altitude points
If it were pre-covid prices, that flight return would be like 3-4k? right now return is 8k-9k and one way is 4-5k.

135000altitude points would get you $643 in david jones gift cards

For me, i'd still be saving it for the overseas trip

The general consensus I would say on this forum is that points for gift cards is terrible value, and generally points should only be used to redeem business class fares or upgrades (and typically international flights too rather than domestic redemptions)

I notice there is a bonus 15% t/f to velocity but my rough calls suggests (as I assume with all transfers) be a loss in value for me (based on say one way domestic flights) compared to buying gift cards.
I'd be interested in hearing your calculations on that.

If 135K Altitude points = $643 in gift cards (as foggy suggests)

And 135K Altitude points = 45K VFF points (without bonus)

45K VFF points = 5.77 SYD-MEL flights

That puts each SYD-MEL flight at about $146 (incl $35 in taxes)

Apart from some very early morning fares, it looks like most SYD-MEL flights on Virgin are $179+.

Reward availability isn't amazing, but it seems okay.

So it seems to make okay sense to transfer to VFF domestically if you fly a bit.

Obviously you can get far greater value if you fly international business, but in a straight cash for cash equivalent, it still works.

Hi Thanks for the feedback.

My calc for the Virgin flights (I just booked some 7.35am flights BNE-SYD) for 14,500 points each (well actually I paid 7800 plus $39.30 in taxes). (actual cost of flight in this point range was $160-220).
The later morning flights range between 22,200 and 90,000 (about $270-539)

So 43500 points gets me about $480 to $660.
45K VFF points gets me only just over 3 flight including taxes
or if I use minimal points I get the 5.77 BNE-SYD flights and pay $39.30 per flight in taxes.

How did you get 5.77 fully paid flights including taxes for 45K VFF (good deal if you have!)

EDIT
I just checked on the Westpac online travel site.
for same flights
Virgin was 65K altitude points (of which 15K taxes)
Strangely
Jetstar was 69K altitude points of which under 1000 altitude points in tax.

so 65K Altitude points approx 22K VVF suggesting it was taking up the price points of the more expensive flights and not the 3 cheapest flights.

Last edited:

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back