Bonus points for international purchase

lonewolf

Hey guys,

I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything on it. Is it worth using the amex on international purchases due to the card offer of bonus points for every $1 spent on international purchases? Doesn't the extra fees still make it not as worthwhile as using a card that doesn't get charged any fees even if it doesn't earn any points?

Is it worth using the amex on international purchases due to the card offer of bonus points for every $1 spent on international purchases?

Do you have a payment option available to you which incurs less than 3% forex surcharge?

If so, use that.

If not, this promo is for you.

Do you have a payment option available to you which incurs less than 3% forex surcharge?

If so, use that.

If not, this promo is for you.
Yes , I have a credit card that earns no points but doesn't have any fees for international purchases / foreign currencies.

I don’t think it’s worth it but it does make foreign currency transactions just a little more palatable. I was overseas last month and put all my CC purchases on my Commbank Smart Awards Mastercard despite the AmEx offer — but when I rented a car I put it on the AmEx to get the insurance. I was glad for the offer then.

I don’t think it’s worth it but it does make foreign currency transactions just a little more palatable. I was overseas last month and put all my CC purchases on my Commbank Smart Awards Mastercard despite the AmEx offer — but when I rented a car I put it on the AmEx to get the insurance. I was glad for the offer then.

Good point, Hadnt thought about the insurance part. Shame amex cards have a forex fee.

The 3% also gets muddied if you have it as a business expense or tax deductible expense. So there's no one size fits all but generally speaking if you have alternative purchase options on cards, that's better.

I miss the citibank diners club, wish they hadnt removed that. I guess if i need to make an expenditure for travel insurance viability too then i need to use the card.

Exactly what I did in May - except the offer wasn't in place then. But CBA card for all purchases, car rental on the Amex, and unfortunately have to cop the fees on that.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back