Brisbane airport closed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogul

Apparently BNE is closed due to damage on the runway from a heavy 747 landing.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

From BNE airport twitter: @fionadonnelly Hi, it was actually A380 take-off, the engines pushed debris onto runway. We will keep you updated as best we can today.
10:11am - 6 Dec 13

@fionadonnelly Hi, #bneairport remains open, part of 1 runway is being cleared of debris. The operations team are working to clear asap.

Mrs eric is a very nervous flyer at the best of times. She is booked on tomorrows EK A380 flight from BNE-AKL and hasnt appreciated my taunting her regarding this.

Anyone out there with any new info as at 11.13am, 6 Dec

Mrs eric is a very nervous flyer at the best of times. She is booked on tomorrows EK A380 flight from BNE-AKL and hasnt appreciated my taunting her regarding this.

Anyone out there with any new info as at 11.13am, 6 Dec

Nothing to worry about, the plane blew some debris onto the runway in takeoff, planes fine, airport was never closed (it has more than one runway), just restricted ops while some sweeping was done.

Nothing to worry about, the plane blew some debris onto the runway in takeoff, planes fine, airport was never closed (it has more than one runway), just restricted ops while some sweeping was done.

Thanks for the info markis. What do you mean about "it has more than one runway". (apart from the little X runway that would'nt take anything more than 737/A320). Is this the same Brisbane airport we all love to hate that you are refering too.

Thanks for the info markis. What do you mean about "it has more than one runway". (apart from the little X runway that would'nt take anything more than 737/A320). Is this the same Brisbane airport we all love to hate that you are refering too.

Since most (96%) movements are 737/A320 or below, the "little" runway comes in handy!

Since most (96%) movements are 737/A320 or below, the "little" runway comes in handy!

I understand and know what you are saying, at normal times though, how much does the "little" one get used. I know that the freight companies use it regularily but I cant remember flying in or out on it, even on the Dash'es. I thought they couldnt use it at normal times because it crossed the main active runway.

I understand and know what you are saying, at normal times though, how much does the "little" one get used. I know that the freight companies use it regularily but I cant remember flying in or out on it, even on the Dash'es. I thought they couldnt use it at normal times because it crossed the main active runway.

It gets used a lot, especially for flying doctor and Dash 8s, just ask anyone who lives at Deception Bay! It does not physically cross the other runway, although the approach, to around path does, which is no different to cross runway ops at other locales.

I have been on quote a few aircraft that used that runway.

SH6, DH3/DH4 & 737

Flow on effects in SYD, for VA at least with a number of flights delayed. My 1300 flight to MEL was delayed to 1500 but the Lounge Manager has rebooked me on the 1415 QF flight which was very much appreciated being a Friday afternoon. It will be a novelty flying QF domestically for me, and on a 763 no less.

Hi, We are operating on a displaced threshold on the runway so all flights are going out and in with no issues just some slight delay due to the backlog of flights we had this morning when we temporary closed the runway. We hope the nerves can settle, we check the runways for safety all the time during the day, the operations teams do frequent checks at all points of the runway. Have a great weekend. Kate

Hi, We are operating on a displaced threshold on the runway so all flights are going out and in with no issues just some slight delay due to the backlog of flights we had this morning when we temporary closed the runway. We hope the nerves can settle, we check the runways for safety all the time during the day, the operations teams do frequent checks at all points of the runway. Have a great weekend. Kate

Thanks for your information Kate and welcome to AFF. Nice to get some input direct from the horses mouth (so to speak) LOL.:lol: Looking forward to your contributions in the future

Agreed info direct from the operator is always appreciated!

Diversions left OOL a bit hectic with an FJ 737 amongst Domestic diversions

Obstruction Men and Equipment up to 6m above ground level on runway centreline 2841m from start of takeoff roll available

..interesting, must have been some significant debris

NOTAM:
J4043/13 NOTAMR J4041/13
Q) YBBB/QMRCM/IV/NBO/A/000/999/2723S15307E
A) YBBN
B) 1312060036 C) 1312061400 EST
E) RWY 01/19 779M NORTH END NOT AVBL DUE WIP
OBST MAE 6M AGL ON RWY CL 2841M FM START OF TORA
RWY 01 EFFECTIVE RWY LEN AVBL 2721M
THR RWY 19 DISPLACED 1034M MARKED BY FIVE GREEN LGT EACH SIDE OF RWY
HN
TWY A1 NOT AVBL
RWY DECLARED DISTANCE AND GRADIENT CHANGES
RWY TORA TODA ASDA LDA
01 2721 2781(5.0) 2721 2721
19 2781 2841(1.6) 2781 2526

SUPPLEMENTARY TKOF DIST
RWY 01 2526(1.6) 2585(1.9) 2628(2.2) 2661(2.5) 2719(3.3)

TWY A3 AVBL FOR RWY 19 INTL DEP
RWY 19 PAPI, HIGH INTENSITY APCH LGT (HIAL) AND TDZ LGT NOT AVBL RWY
01/19 HIGH INTENSITY RCLL NOT AVBL
RWY 19 TEMP PAPI LEFT AVBL
CREATED: 06 Dec 2013 00:37:00
SOURCE: YBBBZEZX

Last edited:
Yes there were significant delays this morning. I was on QF513 that was due out at 8:25. We were already about 10 mins late in departing because of a late arriving pax, then the captain came on and explained the situation with the A380.

We then then did not take off until 9:40 as they had to wait for Ops to come back with revised calcs for a short runway takeoff. The captain advised all was good and we were ready to push back, then were delayed again as someone else had parked us in another delayed plane.

All around a disaster for the rest of the day.

QF15 had to go via Sydney thanks to the shorter runway, obviously too short for takeoff with a LAX load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back