Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

I take cash, 3 credit cards, 3 ATM cards and then everything available to be used on my Google wallet as well.

That's just sensible, although I wouldn't take that much cash! I get off the plane with 2 CCs, 2 debit/ATM cards, about US$20 cash in small bills and about A$50 equiv in local currency. Often I have the US$ and local currency left over from a previous trip. If I have a lot of local, I'll take it all and use it up.

Absolutely no stress about wondering if a merchant will take a particular form of payment (and hassle when they don't).

Also in Lisbon @Scarlett apparently it is because it is costly for the merchant - somewhere around 30% we were informed.
Lisbon (and Porto) aren’t so bad but outside of those, cash only was common.

Not sure about those merchant fees. Sounds a bit odd.

Do you mean card is not widely accepted?

Oh, yes I did mean card! Have corrected the typo in my post.

Also, USD there are only accepted if they are clean, crisp and ultra crisp........

Officially, businesses are not allowed to accept USD as payment. There was an announcement on the plane that this is illegal. Of course, in practice, things may be different.

I have just returned from a month-long trip in the UK, France, Spain and Morocco. I took 40 Euro cash and returned with 20E in notes and some coin. It would have been 30E but I left my CC at the hotel and had to pay a friend back for a purchase. In England and Wales, CC was accepted everywhere. Ditto in France and Spain, even very out of the way hotels for a glass of wine. In Morocco, the only place I would have needed cash were the markets, but as I wasn't interested in trinkets, that didn't bother me.

In Japan last year, I also used the CC everywhere. One market-like shop wouldn't take CC under the equivalent of $30, but even a lot of food stalls took CC. I still have some USD, which is needed for tips. My tip from one hotel in Canada: add $10 or whatever amount to your room bill, and they will give you the cash to tip porters and other hotel staff. Very handy! Personally, I no longer take cash with me overseas.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back