Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

I didn't realise people had issues with passkeys as it was all quite seamless to set up on iPhone - though I wouldn't mandate it and I don't think ubank is mandating it. I would also imagine that if I lost access to my phone completely I'd have more pressing concerns than not being able to log into internet banking.

I didn't realise people had issues with passkeys as it was all quite seamless to set up on iPhone - though I wouldn't mandate it and I don't think ubank is mandating it. I would also imagine that if I lost access to my phone completely I'd have more pressing concerns than not being able to log into internet banking.
Sorry, staying OT but a good reason to have more than one account. Just look at CBA customers recently.

All eggs in one basket has downsides!

ING saver account has a requirement to increase the Saver balance but you can still move money in an out. Yes, it’s taken the shine off ING.

Definitely not shiny, ING is way too much mucking about unless they are your everyday bank. It may have been worth hurdles when they rebates ATM fees, but not now, I closed my ING account before ever using it to travel due to the poor chnages.
Post automatically merged:

All eggs in one basket has downsides!

Agree!

I always travel with debit cards from 3-4 different banks and 3 different credit cards - backups for the backups. Keep them in different places.

A couple of points from past posts and my recently competed trip to Asia:
  1. I well remember Travellers Cheques from the early 70s (although they were called Travelers Checks, if bought from AMEX). I can particularly remember one day, in Italy I seem to remember, where I was so nervous counter signing a whole lot of small denomination cheques that my signature was all over the place and I had to sign some again on the back just to try to prove I was who I said I was - even with my passport as evidence. Maybe I just looked 'shady' back then.
  2. Needed cash in Japan, but mainly in small establishments in remote towns. PASMO, or a similar IC card, universally acceptable everywhere else.
  3. Used HKD to top-up my old Octopus card in Hong Kong. I could not seem to be able to download and activate the 'Octopus for Tourists' card with a foreign debit card (Wise or NAB, or even with my Latitude Credit card) so used cash to top up the physical card. Even need cash on a couple of private busses until I found out that two people could use the same Octopus card - but sometimes had to wait a few seconds before the second person could use it - or go thru seperate barriers.
  4. No cash needed in Singapore, although I always carry a little, just in case, as the cab drivers still prefer cash.
  5. I'll post a comment on the WISE page as I used this card for the first time - and loved it.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back