Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

Heading home from my OWA today.

USA only came across 1 place that was cash only and that was the takeaway counter at Cafe Du Monde in New Oreleans (but can use card if you dine in). No need for cash at all in Dallas, New York or Indianapolis and everywhere happy to split bills between diners.

Noting that Duane Reade / Walgrens are removing citibank ATM's from their NY stores, but citibank ATM's offering free withdrawals are still plentiful at branches all over Manhattan. Of course once NAB finish cull of citibank brand this become irrelevant.

Despite notifying Citibank of travel plans and dates before leaving and having no issues in Dallas, New Orleans, UK, Ireland or Finland first attempted use on return to US in New York in taxi from JFK they blocked card but as soon as I confirmed by sms that it was me they unlocked it within seconds.

Debit card worked flawlessly on NYC subway including recognising the weekly cap, once you have done 12 rides rest of the week is free (and week calculated from first use not Mon to Sun).

Zero cash needed in London. Zero cash needed in Ireland (even in small towns with only 5 or 6 shops) in fact a few places card only. Zero cash needed in Finland, I'd say half businesses I interacted with were card only.

FYI in US current card tip options are 15,%, 20%, 25%, none or other.

FYI in US current card tip options are 15,%, 20%, 25%, none or other.

I saw some merchants with 20%, 25%, 30% or other when I was there a few months ago.

I did not leave out none. Many are now making you select other and either enter 0 or there's another button for no tip.

Many African countries are still largely cash-based. In the last 15 years, countries like Ethiopia and Uganda have seen ATMs grow in number in the major cities from one or two to several hundred.

However, beyond the cities, physical currency is the norm, with services like MTN Mobile Money and several others acting as much more convenient local 'banks'. While banks might be scarce, almost everyone has a phone, enabling them to send and receive money wherever they are. As long as there is a mobile network! Luckily, many African countries have surprisingly extensive mobile phone networks, so mobile money really works well.

Many African countries are still largely cash-based. In the last 15 years, countries like Ethiopia and Uganda have seen ATMs grow in number in the major cities from one or two to several hundred.

However, beyond the cities, physical currency is the norm, with services like MTN Mobile Money and several others acting as much more convenient local 'banks'. While banks might be scarce, almost everyone has a phone, enabling them to send and receive money wherever they are. As long as there is a mobile network! Luckily, many African countries have surprisingly extensive mobile phone networks, so mobile money really works well.
100% the case in Guinea, Liberia and Senegal also. However, I doubt many here are visiting those as tourists or have them high up on their list to visit!

It is a pain having to click no tip everytime you get takeout.
There’s an article posted here somewhere about “shaming” people who press the big no tip buttons on those flat screens at coffee shops etc…

There’s an article posted here somewhere about “shaming” people who press the big no tip buttons on those flat screens at coffee shops etc…
I feel no shame, I will tip if table service, but not just for someone handing me an item, especially since at a lot of those places you order via phone app or touch screen so no service provided.

Lunch spot in Vancouver today. Even DC was Canadian issued only. Offloaded my older $20 bills…😁

IMG_1585.jpeg

This happened to us last December in Singapore where I was trying to recharge the ezLink card using my coles credit card. As it was the only card I had and no cash to use , had to fork out close to ~7 AUD to withdraw money from an ATM machine.
I just use the Coles card saved in my Samsung Wallet and tap at the MRT gate, and also on the bus.

Lunch spot in Vancouver today. Even DC was Canadian issued only. Offloaded my older $20 bills…😁

View attachment 341270
Oh my, this is like this Italian place Ristorante Fratelli at Giethoorn in Amsterdam. Only Euros in cash or European debit cards. How annoying for a tourist town. Food wasn't that good either.

Don't know how these places can survive for so long.

Oh my, this is like this Italian place Ristorante Fratelli at Giethoorn in Amsterdam. Only Euros in cash or European debit cards. How annoying for a tourist town. Food wasn't that good either.

Don't know how these places can survive for so long.
Actually, this one the food was good and place was full.

Very common for Chinese restaurants though... try find one that will take card in China town in NYC!
I always grab some dumplings at Vanessa's Dumplings in NYC Chinatown and they take cards.

I feel no shame, I will tip if table service, but not just for someone handing me an item, especially since at a lot of those places you order via phone app or touch screen so no service provided.

And in any case, it's perfectly acceptable to pay the check on your card, but leave a cash tip.

Some do this as they don't trust the business to pass on the tip to the workers. I'd love to know what percentage of Starbucks tips actually reach the workers.

And in any case, it's perfectly acceptable to pay the check on your card, but leave a cash tip.

Some do this as they don't trust the business to pass on the tip to the workers. I'd love to know what percentage of Starbucks tips actually reach the workers.
Lots of reports of merchants deducting the CC fee from the tip amount - causing more friction.

So cash tips are actually a bit of win-win.

Any advice on Indonesia ?? I received an e-mail from a hotel we will be staying in a couple of weeks with a link to a payment gateway asking for payment (as per our booking) - tried the payment several times with a VISA card - every time it says "payment failed" with no reason. A couple of times I received an OTP and entered it - still payment failed. I've e-mailed the hotel and asked what to do - I am sure it's an issue on their end.

Just wondering if credit card payments are problematic in Indonesia.
I think that's the Bank. We had same issues with ANZ visa in India despite the OTP etc. NAB visa worked fine.

I think that's the Bank. We had same issues with ANZ visa in India despite the OTP etc. NAB visa worked fine.
Thanks @Pushka - I'll call the ANZ - for this transaction the hotel has advised that we can pay on arrival BUT the only other card I have is AmEx - so if ANZ VISA fails at the point of sale (as opposed to online payments) it will pose a major issue as I would be surprised if AmEx is widely accepted.

Thanks @Pushka - I'll call the ANZ - for this transaction the hotel has advised that we can pay on arrival BUT the only other card I have is AmEx - so if ANZ VISA fails at the point of sale (as opposed to online payments) it will pose a major issue as I would be surprised if AmEx is widely accepted.
If your card is working fine otherwise, it ought to be ok at the hotel.

Thanks @SYD - I tried to call the ANZ and their phone system tells me "due to current events we cannot take your call right now" and hangs up. What useless service - I've sent an online complaint.

Anyway - sorry - I think I've taken this thread a bit off-topic.

Probably a good idea to let ANZ know that you’re travelling if you only have one CC card.

A debit card should work also if you have a fallback (most of the usual suspects are also Int fee free - UBank, ING, Citi etc.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back