Champagne in checked luggage (international long haul)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a look around for something called WineSkin. It's a single bottle bubble wrap transport bag. I've seen it in action and it protects the bottle well. It's also supposed to be leak proof.

Have a look around for something called WineSkin. It's a single bottle bubble wrap transport bag. I've seen it in action and it protects the bottle well. It's also supposed to be leak proof.
Yes a good product. We've used several of these over the years as a safety measure for wine in the suitcase. They seal so will hold the wine if the bottle breaks, but we're been lucky and none have ever broken.

Pro-tip
Wrap in clothes as per other posters, but brace the ends of the bottles against training shoes as this avoids the bottle sliding and the neck getting shocked if the case is bumped.

Yes a good product. We've used several of these over the years as a safety measure for wine in the suitcase. They seal so will hold the wine if the bottle breaks, but we're been lucky and none have ever broken.

Great idea! The winery we purchased the wine from had these skins - so we now have 6 bottles lovingly wrapped in seriously strong bubbles! Apparently they've been tried and tested, so will see how we go. Depart on Sunday so will report back.

Thanks for all the assistance. :)

Have no fear! All will be well and at the very worst you'll have champagne smelling undies! :)

Don't forget this would be counted as part (or all) of your duty free allowance.

I buy a lot of champagne from Dan Murphys and have them delivered to my office (feel sorry for the mail room guys).

Basically when these gets delivered, they come in a large box and then inside it, they have this bottle-shaped bubble wraps (with lids) and the chamapgnes are packed in these bubble wraps with their original box as well, so it is double protected.

The packing from Dan Murphy's is free (they may charge for delivery however) so this makes it a great deal for me as I keep these wraps for when I travel with wines in my suitcases.

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. Just wanted to let you all know that the 6 bottles packed in the wine skins (like bubble wrap but so much stronger) all made it safely to Amsterdam, then London, then Luxembourg where we handed them over. We even tested a bottle (since we had an 8 hour layover in Singapore and wasn't sure how the heat/humidity would affect the wine) and it was all good. Definitely can recommend. Thanks for the advice - very much appreciated.

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. Just wanted to let you all know that the 6 bottles packed in the wine skins (like bubble wrap but so much stronger) all made it safely to Amsterdam, then London, then Luxembourg where we handed them over. We even tested a bottle (since we had an 8 hour layover in Singapore and wasn't sure how the heat/humidity would affect the wine) and it was all good. Definitely can recommend. Thanks for the advice - very much appreciated.

Are the wine skins reusable? or do they have to be cut/ripped open once they have been sealed?

Are the wine skins reusable? or do they have to be cut/ripped open once they have been sealed?

Hi Steady.

Four of the six skins were definitely reusable - we didn't need to cut them (the tops open up easily). Two of the skins had a couple of spots where they deflated, but the wine was still well protected. Not sure if these two skins could be reused. They're known apparently as 'inflatable wine bottle protectors' - picture below. The cellar door of the winery we purchased the wine from had them.

Cheers Suz

IMG_0005.jpg

Hi Steady.

Four of the six skins were definitely reusable - we didn't need to cut them (the tops open up easily). Two of the skins had a couple of spots where they deflated, but the wine was still well protected. Not sure if these two skins could be reused. They're known apparently as 'inflatable wine bottle protectors' - picture below. The cellar door of the winery we purchased the wine from had them.

Cheers Suz

View attachment 54298

We ocasionally get Dans orders packed in those inflated ones, they have a lid flap so can definitely be reused.

Technically no but practically yes. If you have to cut them then just use duck tape to reseal.

I found these and the price is OK but 20 off is the sweet spot price wise from what I can see, but 20 is a lot if they are reusable

[TABLE="class: bglt"]
[TR]
[TD="class: smalltext"]Quantity
[/TD]
[TD="class: smalltext"]Price
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: texttable"]1 – 19[/TD]
[TD="class: texttable"]$4.99[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: texttable"]20 – 49[/TD]
[TD="class: texttable"]$3.30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: texttable"]50 – 99[/TD]
[TD="class: texttable"]$3.14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: texttable"]100 – 249[/TD]
[TD="class: texttable"]$2.70[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: texttable"]250 +[/TD]
[TD="class: texttable"]$2.50[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: smalltext, colspan: 2, align: center"](prices include GST)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I once packed a jar of marmite in my suitcase on the return trip from Blighty once - it broke in the bag on the way back, and my £600 new jacket was ruined :oops::shock::mad:

Remember - don't mix food or drink and luggage, kids.

I find black liquid shoe shine to be very effective.

One whole checked bag contents completely ruined.

Noticed during a 1 night transit stop on the way to a week's business trip to Tunisia. Mmmm suddenly I have no clothes. Champagne would not have done that.

I once packed a jar of marmite in my suitcase on the return trip from Blighty once - it broke in the bag on the way back, and my £600 new jacket was ruined :oops::shock::mad:

That's what happens if you use substitutes. If you'd used Vegimite, you would just have gained new friends! ;)

I've got a bottle of the region's finest wrapped up in two sets of QF pyjama pants, and nestled amidst the core of other soft items in the belly of this Miami connection from Saint Lucia to Washington Dulles... wish me luck!

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I've got a bottle of the region's finest wrapped up in two sets of QF pyjama pants, and nestled amidst the core of other soft items in the belly of this Miami connection from Saint Lucia to Washington Dulles... wish me luck!

Arrived safe and sound! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back