Checked luggage in Australia - why so long?

I think the best globally has got to be EVA Air who tags proper business class or top tier BR (star alliance status doesn't apply here) luggage as F1.

In short at all EVA airports including outstations they have a policy of 15 mins for F1 luggage delivery and this is embedded within their standard operating procedures with outstations/contract staff held accountable if not met. They make sure that F1 luggage is taken on a seperate cart to the belt which really helps.

Does it depend on the aircraft? A 737 will mean unloading all the bags, then moving the trolley/cart, then loading all the bags for the next flight, then driving to the baggage claim area.

What's very frustrating is being on the late flight into Sydney where there can't possibly be an out bound flight and they still take forever. Surely they just want to go home too?

Does it depend on the aircraft? A 737 will mean unloading all the bags, then moving the trolley/cart, then loading all the bags for the next flight, then driving to the baggage claim area.

What's very frustrating is being on the late flight into Sydney where there can't possibly be an out bound flight and they still take forever. Surely they just want to go home too?

Depends on the airline. I’ve seen airlines drive the bags to the terminal while others load the new bags. They can unhook the carts from the vehicle and just swap from outgoing to incoming.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Depends on the airline. I’ve seen airlines drive the bags to the terminal while others load the new bags. They can unhook the carts from the vehicle and just swap from outgoing to incoming.
Well I look forward to that day - when the carts are fully automated and independent. I'm certain the airlines would be happy because one cart/bin can sent to or from the plane with out having to wait for the others.

The answer reminds me of The D-Generation (or Late Show?) sketch that compares the efficient and quick F1 pit crew with an Australian team (to their driver):

"Yeah big job, tyres. Can you come back Thursday?"

Arrived at LHR three times last month. On all occasions aircraft door to kerbside in 35 mins…. ( Both bags and immigration) T3 & T5.
BA 15 at Syd, first plane to arrive so no other aircraft to unload. Immigration fast but luggage took 45 mins before they started to arrive.

Well I look forward to that day - when the carts are fully automated and independent. I'm certain the airlines would be happy because one cart/bin can sent to or from the plane with out having to wait for the others.

Or, you know, just hire staff. Some airlines manage.

We flew from London to Frankfurt about 18 months ago on BA. Waited almost 2 hours for the luggage to appear.
The people with airtags could see the bags were in the terminal but we assumed no one would move the bags onto the belt ..
Except for lost luggage that is by far the longest we have ever waited.

We flew from London to Frankfurt about 18 months ago on BA. Waited almost 2 hours for the luggage to appear.
The people with airtags could see the bags were in the terminal but we assumed no one would move the bags onto the belt ..
Except for lost luggage that is by far the longest we have ever waited.
Quite contrary to usual German efficiency.

Pam Ann has a joke that Lufthansa is so efficient, your luggage is on the carousel before the plane lands! 😂

Last time I was at YVR, a batch of bags got stuck on the belt feeding the baggage carousel from the baggage handling downstairs. Had to find someone to come and unblock it to allow the bags to get upstairs into arrivals.

Mid last year, arriving in SYD. Had to get a 2nd suitcase in Akiba to fit everything to get it home.
Both bags were loaded in the same container. One bag arrived. The other didn't. The CX contract workers at SYD never loaded the 2nd bag onto the belt and went home. Filed a missing bag claim, then got a phone call when I was on the transfer bus over to domestic saying they had found it and were rushing it over to join my domestic connection.

Having travelled a bit, I have learnt that your bag will appear on the carousel exactly when you least expect it. Every. Single. Time.

To correctly describe or understand the processes involved would probably require Douglas Adams to be brought back and asked to write about it.

Back