Citibank Select - Advice on getting to yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehound

It's time to try and get a Select card, so given the past trials and tribulations (mainly the former!) of the collective group here, I was hoping for some good advice on how to get approved in short order.

I currently have a Citibusiness Gold with 25k limit, and have been counting the days until that's 9 months old so I can apply for another Citi card. That time is up in about a week. I really would like to put together a comprehensive application and send them all the right docs first time to avoid the kind of stuffing around they've made plenty do with utility bills, payroll slips etc. I also want to get the card asap since I'm off overseas for three weeks on 31 August and want to earn those 3.33KF points on every dollar!

The only credit I've now got is in that Citibusiness Gold, since I don't have a Reserve with my Charge Card (so presumably not declarable on the application), and have recently cancelled others (last cancellation about 1 month ago). Balance fully paid on the CitiGold and Plat Charge cards at the end of each cycle.

Income on paper is easily proved, but I worry about Citi trying to call my payroll since it's the Health Dept of WA, and they'll need to go through about 3 stages of keying in options to get to the right person! (They won't give out direct numbers for payroll personnel, but I might try again anyway).

So has anyone got any thoughts on how to nail this first time?

- Should I apply in person in a branch, or online? If online I'd hope I can do what others have done and get the 80000 bonus points despite already holding a Citi card. But some have intimated that in a branch means less stuff ups with your docs. Could the 80000 pts still be negotiated if applied for in a branch?
- What credit limit, if any, should I request? (I don't care what it is, and want it to be as high as possible). Should this be left blank, or should I note somewhere on the application that I'm happy to transfer some of my current Gold limit across?
- Despite the fact that I am the main breadwinner in our house, since my wife also works, should I only note that 50% of household expenses/mortgage are my responsibility? When doing a credit check I presume there'd be no way any bank could really ascertain what percentage of expenses are paid for by one person or the other of a joint mortgage or account.
- What documents would people recommend I send in prophylactically? Utility bills, PAYG group certificate (just in), evidence of additional income outside of my primary employment etc?

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

If you have a 2011 tax assessment or 2012 then start with that plus your latest statement of earnings that has $120k or more on it. Yes go halves on the living costs and ask for at least 25k because it is a Darrel Lea style "rocky road" to get increases.
I did that and apart from needing to keep my sense of humour it did work out. We have a combined 125k of limits on the 2 Citi cards. Try to answer their phone call so give them your mobile number and definitely don't let that one go to message bank. You get one chance to talk directly with the credit assessor as trying to call back is the start of something that could get posted in the AFF humour section.
I did not try through a branch.
The international fee of 3.3% has been charged on my last two international purchases but I can see I did earn 3.33 real Kris points per dollar so sometimes I just go 28 degrees seeing 1% cost is my pain barrier limit to earn a point.

I left the requested credit limit blank. When they asked what limit I wanted I just said it was up to them, whatever they were comfortable with. I ended up with the maximum limit they allow for a new card.

It's time to try and get a Select card, so given the past trials and tribulations (mainly the former!) of the collective group here, I was hoping for some good advice on how to get approved in short order.
hound I posted my experiences here - http://www.australianfrequentflyer....tibank-never-give-up-37577-10.html#post576287 - but it took much longer than the time frame you have mentioned - either way good luck - Select is well worth the effort whatever it takes to secure.

From what I know, go online, you'll get the 80k bonus.
Submit what paperwork you had for the biz card.
They will ring payroll.
However, good news is it will be processed in OZ. Turn around will be 2 weeks or so.

I did it online. I am pretty sure there was an option to let them decide my limit, and I chose that method.
I agree with what cove said above. I was lucky to be able to answer my mobile when the assessor phoned because it was all very very easy after that. Interestingly I think he was ringing to refuse because he thought monthly income was my yearly income. When I corrected him it was all sweetness and light and I gave him permission to phone my accountant.
Approved soon afterwards and the sign on bonus points have been credited to my Qantas account. Note I didn't activate the card until getting absolute assurance that the points would go to Qantas.
So far so good

Depending on which hospital (if any) you work for in WA, some have onsite HCN officers who have direct numbers. SCGH has this, but I do not know the number.

For all the doom and gloom painted by many frustrated Citibank customers, I've fortunately had no problems getting approved for the Select in less than 48 hours!

After getting all my docs ready for the application, I did it online late Tuesday night, so would have been processed starting Wednesday. I then faxed in a covering letter on Wednesday afternoon outlining my sources of income and explanatory notes on my attachments, as well as numbers for both my payroll officer and my accountant (to verify extra income). The attachments I went with included the last 6 months of payslips, the last 3 years of PAYG Payment Summaries, the 10/11 and 09/10 tax return assessments, netbank account printouts from the last 12 months demonstrating additional income received over and above my salary, plus a sheet with my passport, drivers licence and medicare card photocopied on it.

I got called early this morning from a very nice guy called Riaz in Sydney who enquired about my two sources of income, and once explained he just wanted to know what I'd be doing with my current Citibusiness Gold card. Told him I wanted the maximum limit on the Select but that I wanted to hold onto the Gold (don't want to lose the current points on it), so happy to transfer across some of the current $25k balance to the Select.

Riaz called back at lunch and said it was all approved, and asked if I was happy for the Gold card to decrease to $5k (the minimum) and the Select limit to be 35k. No problems Riaz, you're a champion. He said I should get the card in 4-5 working days. Plenty of time before going to Europe at the end of August!

All up, a great success! Thanks for the suggestions for getting to Yes :)

The next thing will be to try and get the 80,000 reward points. Has anyone got experience on achieving this as a current Citi cardholder? Simply a matter of haggling on the phone, or any other tips and tricks?

For all the doom and gloom painted by many frustrated Citibank customers, I've fortunately had no problems getting approved for the Select in less than 48 hours!

+1

Applied online Tuesday am, received phone call about lunchtime from same guy, emailed him back ID check docs, group cert and a pay slip- checked today and it's been approved.

No mention of the bonus points- has anyone opted in to QFF to get the initial 80k, then switched back to the normal rewards program? It didn't give me QFF on the drop down menu when applying. Would love the 80k QFF for some upgrades, but would like to go with citi rewards over the long run.

Applied online Tuesday am, received phone call about lunchtime from same guy, emailed him back ID check docs, group cert and a pay slip- checked today and it's been approved.

Riaz was definitely organised and knew what was what. I asked him if I'd ever be speaking with him again, and he said he only does credit assessments, so not until the next credit limit increase. I've saved his personal number anyway - never know when it might come in handy for getting somewhere with Citi!

Riaz was definitely organised and knew what was what. I asked him if I'd ever be speaking with him again, and he said he only does credit assessments, so not until the next credit limit increase. I've saved his personal number anyway - never know when it might come in handy for getting somewhere with Citi!

I'm 95% sure I also spoke to Riaz when I applied for my Select - actually spoke to him a couple of times as there was a bit of stuffing around with regards to moving limit from my CBG to Select.

Agree that he was VERY good - knew his stuff and was also very commercial (eg said he wouldn't bother with employment verification calls as I'd been with Citi a long time and my employment hadn't changed) - astounding for someone from a business as script-driven as Citi.

Sounds like maybe they've got a dedicated team (or one guy?) doing credit assessments for Select... again, surprisingly sensible for CitiBank :)

Yes I spoke to Riaz twice during this week - seems to really know his stuff and such a cooperative nature - males life so much easier with Citi.

+1

No mention of the bonus points- has anyone opted in to QFF to get the initial 80k, then switched back to the normal rewards program? It didn't give me QFF on the drop down menu when applying. Would love the 80k QFF for some upgrades, but would like to go with citi rewards over the long run.

The T and C seem to allow that and I am considering changing to citi rewards after reading a few of the threads here. I checked and double checked that my bonus points would go to Qantas and was reassured that they would be. And, phew, they did. If I remember correctly I couldn't find an option on the web either.

I must say that the Citi service has been pretty good.

Best of luck with yours.

Got the card today and fortunately only took 6 or 7 minutes to activate the card - at least not 45 minutes like reported on some other threads! I did have to repeat the card number three times to the Phillipino call centre person (amusingly named Princess), but she finally got there :) Now to start accruing those Krisflyer points and argue for the 80k bonus. All's well that ends well, and all in time for my next o/seas trip in a few weeks.

I have the citi plat and would like to apply for the Select with the 80k bonus.
I spoke to someone who said it would happen then I checked again and was told as I am already a citi plat I will not get any bonuses.
has anyone ever got the bonus when they still have the plat card?
I actually called to cancel the plat card yesterday but they waived the yearly fee so decided to stay.

Great success! I clocked up a couple of transactions on the new Select and when I checked the rewards points balance this morning - lo and behold the 80000 bonus points has posted!!

So all up my Select experience has been smooth sailing - easy application process, approved in short order with high credit limit, received card after about 5 business days, activated quickly on the phone, and received the 80k bonus despite already holding a Citibusines gold card.

Thanks to all who provided advice on getting to yes :)

Great success! I clocked up a couple of transactions on the new Select and when I checked the rewards points balance this morning - lo and behold the 80000 bonus points has posted!!

That's great news :) Good to have a more recent data point confirming that Citi do apply the bonus points as long as it's a new card application regardless of whether you're already a customer or not (and regardless of what their CSRs may say).

I applied for the Select about 2 weeks ago over the phone. The process was pretty much a breeze. Card arrived earlier this week. I called them to activate the card, and choose QFF for the 80,000 bonus points. I double checked that I can change this later back to CitiRewards/Krisflyer. They said no problem. They told me to wait 5 days for the registration with QFF to go through, and then once I spend on the card the 80k points will go through to Qantas.

I noticed on their website today (tried to post link but my post count is too low) that the bonus points have been downgraded from 80k to only 50k!!

I am hoping I don't end up having to fight the "but when I signed up the bonus points were 80k and I have only received 50k" line. We shall see.

I applied yesterday (am) and am sure that the 80000 offer was still up on the site, will be interesting to see what I get!
Anyway just had the call from Riaz who is now off to call my accountant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back