Declined for Citi Premier - how long before I can reapply

Lost Redditor

I applied for my first Citi card (other than Citi operated Virgin Money) and was declined automatically upon application submission.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendation on how long I should wait before reapplying for a Citi card.

No idea why I'm declined. I'm near the top tax bracket with very little debt, low expenses, no mortgage or rent, and only one other CC with $6k limit. I did just recently close a Virgin Money card, which I think is operated by Citi.

I think at least 3 months is the general advice? I would probably wait 6, but yeh automatic decline is very weird, I applied for the same card with a ton of other cards and pretty high total total limit, got accepted with 16k balance. On the other hand, the last 2 times I applied for HSBC I had the automatic decline outcome. I have 2 other citi cards (one of them is the virgin money one) as well already.

I feel like some banks might look at some very specific factors and weigh them very heavily, but it's quite hard to guess what. Have you ever had late payments on any citi product for example?

I think at least 3 months is the general advice? I would probably wait 6, but yeh automatic decline is very weird, I applied for the same card with a ton of other cards and pretty high total total limit, got accepted with 16k balance. On the other hand, the last 2 times I applied for HSBC I had the automatic decline outcome. I have 2 other citi cards (one of them is the virgin money one) as well already.

I feel like some banks might look at some very specific factors and weigh them very heavily, but it's quite hard to guess what. Have you ever had late payments on any citi product for example?
Yeah I was surprised too.

I don't think I've ever missed a payment so it's not that. Could be time spent at my current employer but that seems a bit harsh. One or my debts is the remainder of my secured car loan but it's less than $10k. I couldn't select "secured", the only only option is "Personal Loan" which I think is a bit silly

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back