Earning status credits with Qantas Points Club

ApeLex

Hi trying to get my head around Qantas marketed flights and SC's

In November last year I flew to Malaysia and back. I travelled by Qantas to Singapore then Malaysia. Then back, I went from Malaysia to Jakarta back to Syd.

I believe flying from SIN to KL, I was supposed to be on Jetstar Asia but was swapped to Malaysian Airlines. I was with Malaysia Airlines from KL to Jakarta.

Is it because these flights didn't have the QF number (3K687 & MH721) I don't earn SC's? I did book with a classic reward but I was a points club member.

I did receive SC's from my flights to and from Sydney (22 each).

So even though I booked my flights through Qantas, I still can't get SC on those other flights?

Only flights with QF flight numbers are eligible
Whilst technically correct, the easier way to remember is "if you are on a plane that has "QANTAS" on the side of it (exception being the 2 Finair birds currently flying for Qantas), you eill earn SC for a rewards flight.

If not, no dice.

Whilst technically correct, the easier way to remember is "if you are on a plane that has "QANTAS" on the side of it (exception being the 2 Finair birds currently flying for Qantas), you eill earn SC for a rewards flight.

If not, no dice.
Thanks! Bit annoying, but I guess somethings better than nothing.

Had a similar question to OP and stumbled upon this thread.

So, if the flight was with another OneWorld Alliance airline you won't get the SC via Points Club unless it is specifically marked with a QF code?

I redeemed some flights via Classic Rewards recently but didn't earn anything when flying Cathay Pacific. However, I did earn some when flying American Airlines and Alaska Airlines last year with Classic Reward tickets. I don't recall those flights having a QF code though...

Edit: Went back to check my Classic Reward tickets. Definitely not marked with a QF code. They were marked AA and AS but tickets were issued via Qantas

Last edited:
Sounds like a bank error in your favour.
Hmm.. yeah you're probably right.

I wonder how often (if at all) there are QF marketed flights but aren't QF that are also Classic Reward tickets. I don't think I've seen any in the last 15-20 flights I've booked via Classic Rewards

Had a similar question to OP and stumbled upon this thread.

So, if the flight was with another OneWorld Alliance airline you won't get the SC via Points Club unless it is specifically marked with a QF code?

I redeemed some flights via Classic Rewards recently but didn't earn anything when flying Cathay Pacific. However, I did earn some when flying American Airlines and Alaska Airlines last year with Classic Reward tickets. I don't recall those flights having a QF code though...

Edit: Went back to check my Classic Reward tickets. Definitely not marked with a QF code. They were marked AA and AS but tickets were issued via Qantas
QF seem to have a very symbiotic relationship with AA, no degradation of SC when flying AA even if QF fly the same route (50% off SC if fly CX or JL to say HK or TOK but full SC if SYD-LAX on AA)

QF seem to have a very symbiotic relationship with AA, no degradation of SC when flying AA even if QF fly the same route (50% off SC if fly CX or JL to say HK or TOK but full SC if SYD-LAX on AA)
This is due to the AA/QF JV.

A few years back (ok 2017) when it was lost for reasons, earn and such was different and earn was devalued (and QF did not codeshare on AA and v.v.)

It only resumed after a few years when the US DoT approved a renewed JV application (iirc the first was rejected). That was 2019.

I can confirm that bank errors aren’t guaranteed on AA CR flights but I have seen them on other OW airlines with an “A” in their code.

I can confirm that bank errors aren’t guaranteed on AA CR flights but I have seen them on other OW airlines with an “A” in their code.
Not recently unfortunately. If it’s the same airline where they posted as full J regardless of PC status.
They seem to have fixed that bank error.

Off topic here, but related, great scoop on Giant Steps Syrah yesterday $19.95 each, then 10% off with Points Club Plus, then free delivery and then add your $50 Wine voucher from points club.
6 x $35 RRP wines for $57.94 and then did it again with my second voucher :)

Hmm.. yeah you're probably right.

I wonder how often (if at all) there are QF marketed flights but aren't QF that are also Classic Reward tickets. I don't think I've seen any in the last 15-20 flights I've booked via Classic Rewards
Afaik, there are no CR flights that are codeshared. It seems to book into the partner flight's code.

Afaik, there are no CR flights that are codeshared. It seems to book into the partner flight's code.
There are a couple (not many). SB is one.

Off the top of my head, I don’t recall the others but there was some discussion in another thread a few months ago

There are a couple (not many). SB is one.

Off the top of my head, I don’t recall the others but there was some discussion in another thread a few months ago

FJ and possibly LA

FJ and possibly LA
FJ has been reported here and elsewhere but I’ve never personally seen it and I’ve tried.

I almost mentioned LA but wasn’t sure about the current arrangements but it could be limited to transpacific only. Intra SAm definitely only show as LA via QFF CR seats.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Currently on a status run to use up the last of those 20k AS qantas redemptions booked during the DSC ("not possible anymore with the new award chart")

I havent had the SC for my first flight post yet. Probably panicking too early but they usually post within 30 mins of landing 🤣

I havent had the SC for my first flight post yet. Probably panicking too early but they usually post within 30 mins of landing 🤣

Boarding pass had your QF status shown and not AS? Hang onto it just in case - screenshot if you only have a digital BP

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back