Elevate Premium Credit Card - pricing moves from $195 to $295

NinnyPoo

Just received an email with the Amex Elevate Premium moving from $195 to $295.

I don't renew until March 2025, but interested in any feedback on "points for cancel" with the call centre.

Positive

The credits they offer from certain suppliers
Able to transfer to multiple airline and hotel partners
Amex much more accepted than even 10 years ago.
Travel insurance (though it has become a lesser policy)

Negatives

Amex charge one of the highest Bid/Offer spreads in FX
Recent Devaluation (I mainly used the points for Singapore Airlines)
A $100 fee is effectively around 20,000 points in my analysis.
No reward for loyalty. Customer since 1995.

I wonder whether it is worthwhile keeping the Amex Elevate Premium after the increment from $199 to $295. Is the Amex Platinum Edge a much better card?

I earned Qantas points instead of MR and only benefitted from the Australian Centurion Lounge twice yearly access.

Yes got mine via Westpac.
Got that email today as well.
I dont use it much, mainly kept as backup card, so will likely cancel.
It did come in useful a couple of times...but not $300 of useful.

Got this from Westpac before, but sometime ago, they had sent an offer to upgrade to Explorer, which I did.

I haven't heard anything about the standard Elevate (which I pay $49/year for) yet

Edit: Just got the e-mail. $95/year. Also wasn't aware the standard Elevate had complimentary travel insurance???????????

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about the standard Elevate (which I pay $49/year for) yet

Edit: Just got the e-mail. $95/year. Also wasn't aware the standard Elevate had complimentary travel insurance???????????
Received the same email. Will still keep card , a reasonable conversion of 1:1 to VFF (or QFF) .

Same for me - as a retiree it is handy to have but I rarely if ever use it

Yep @kerfuffle up to $95 but for us it is still good value and will keep it.

Their TI now does not include Rental car excess Australia or Pre existing medical since a move to Chubb about 2 years ago.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back