flight credit for less than amount?

wendlle

I may need to cancel some flights with Qantas that were sale fares.
I can get a flight credit, but I see in the terms you can ONLY use them for flights the same or for more than the credit.

Is this true?
The new flights I want for later in the year to a different destination are for less, but I'm happy to eat the cost and lose the money - can I really not book for less and lose the full value if I want to?

Original flights were around $2K new ones would be $1200

I may need to cancel some flights with Qantas that were sale fares.
I can get a flight credit, but I see in the terms you can ONLY use them for flights the same or for more than the credit.

Is this true?
The new flights I want for later in the year to a different destination are for less, but I'm happy to eat the cost and lose the money - can I really not book for less and lose the full value if I want to?

Original flights were around $2K new ones would be $1200
You won’t be able to buy those fares. When you go to use the credit, it will only show fares above the credit value excl. taxes. The $1,200 fares won’t even show up in my experience.

When are the original flights? Hang on in case there is an involuntary schedule change and you can then cancel for a full refund?

When are the original flights? Hang on in case there is an involuntary schedule change and you can then cancel for a full refund?
SYD-LAX at the end of Feb

also wondering if I separate the tickets (there are two) then get a credit for each one individually would that work? I would then have two credits each worth $1K each ??

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

SYD-LAX at the end of Feb

also wondering if I separate the tickets (there are two) then get a credit for each one individually would that work? I would then have two credits each worth $1K each ??
Well it depends on the fare you bought but I doubt it will be possible to split a fare in half. You’d also end up paying multiple change fees.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back