Free stopover costs $600 Sing. Extra

OZDUCK

Established Member
I am trying to avoid the 'Australia tax' by flying to Singapore on ScootPlus and then booking a J flight to Paris using Etihad. For example using sample dates of departing Singapore on 7/5/25 and returning from Paris on 5/6/25 I can get a fare of $8,986 SGD for two people in J. The Etihad site prompts me to take up the opportunity of a complimentary stay with a free hotel for 2 nights. When I select that option the fare for 2 pax increases to $10,247 SGD. the price increase is on the leg to Paris which is when the stopover would occur. The fare for the Singapore/Paris leg jumps from S$3,801 to S$5,032.

Am I misunderstanding the terms "complimentary stay" and "free hotel" or am I doing something silly?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Could it be that the lower fare class you're seeing on the cheaper itinerary isn't available on the later flight if you stop over?

If you look closely at fare conditions, the cheaper fare does not allow stopovers.

Looking at the pricing on Expertflyer, it looks like your fare combines W & Z class. $2441/2 (Z class)+ $3603/2 (W class)+ $1471 taxes/surcharges = $4493/pax = $8986 for 2 pax. As you have a Z class in the mix - no stopovers permitted. SOOL. 😥

FOR ZNN03V5R TYPE FARES

NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED.

FOR WNN03V5R TYPE FARES

UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
LIMITED TO 2 FREE AND UNLIMITED AT USD 100.00 EACH.
1 FREE IN AUH
1 FREE IN AREA 1/AREA 2
1 FREE IN AREA 3
UNLIMITED IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3 AT USD 100.00 EACH.
A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 21 DAYS.
NOTE -
STOPOVER PERMITTED AT GUESTS OWN EXPENSE.

Thanks to both of you I was doing something silly. That should have been obvious. I have never been affected by this sort of thing before but have read plenty of queries from others with similar sorts of questions.

A hotel near/at the airport for the night using the lower fare to cover the 16 hour plus stopover on one of the legs would be cheaper. It would still save me about $6,000 against booking a J flight ex Perth.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back