Government spend contributing to minimum spend?

Andykay

Hi team.

So I understand that government spend, like ATO payments earn points on most Amex cards, albeit at a lower rate. What I'm not 100% clear on is whether this means ATO payments also count toward the minimum spend to unlock points bonuses on those same cards. I feel like the answer is probably yes, but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks

Hi team.

So I understand that government spend, like ATO payments earn points on most Amex cards, albeit at a lower rate. What I'm not 100% clear on is whether this means ATO payments also count toward the minimum spend to unlock points bonuses on those same cards. I feel like the answer is probably yes, but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks
You should check the specific terms for your card but usually this would not count for the minimum spend. This has been the norm for quite a number of years now.

You should check the specific terms for your card but usually this would not count for the minimum spend. This has been the norm for quite a number of years now.
I can't see it anywhere in the terms. The Business Explorer Card, for example, says:

Welcome Offer – Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases on your new American Express® Business Explorer Credit Card within 3 months of your approval date.

And in the terms and conditions, it lists what is not included as an eligible purchase:

75,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points: Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply by 4 April 2023, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases on their new Card in the first three (3) months from the Card approval date. Eligible purchases do not include Card fees and charges, for example annual fees, interest, late payment, cash advances, balance transfers, traveller’s cheques and foreign currency conversion.

It doesn't list government payments in there. I've heard some people say government payments are sometimes flagged as cash advances, but I can't see any reference to that.

Put it through a service like Sniip to be guaranteed the points. The extra cost on a $3k transaction would be negligible, and I believe tax deductible anyway (obligatory I am not an accountant)

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back