Have Virgin cancelled the 'Fly Ahead' benefit again?

I have been told by VA staff that it must be done at the check in or luggage counter (ie. pre-lounge) recently - not sure how accurate that is, or perhaps it's only if you have checked luggage.
Funnily enough I’ve been told the exact opposite at CBR in the past — that I should go directly to the lounge for Fly Ahead requests… consistently inconsistent I guess

FYI the check in kiosks offer fly ahead assuming you haven’t yet checked in (I haven’t tried it when checked in but might next time). This means if on an eligible fare and there are spare seats you can do it yourself without having to talk to anyone.

I’ve also never had a problem over the phone except sometimes end up at the wrong team so get transferred to someone who understands in the premium team.

I’ve also never had a problem over the phone except sometimes end up at the wrong team so get transferred to someone who understands in the premium team.

Yeah this is worth mentioning. I usually say I need to "use my Fly Ahead Platinum benefit" and they transfer me to a specific team.

If you say something more generic like "I want to move to an earlier flight" the rep might not register you are entitled to do it for free and try to do it as a standard reservation change.

I use Fly Ahead at least once a month, I always do this via the contact centre, as I find it easier, and have never had any issues, but yes, I agree with, sudoer, you should use the "Fly Ahead Platinum benefit" terminology or they may not know exactly what you are entitled to.

Also, I wouldn't be calling someone a "sourpuss" and then putting their name on here, it's probably best to be respectful and provide feedback via their website with that person's name in a diplomatic manner, feedback usually does get back to that person via the correct channel (just my thoughts on the matter).

Last edited:
Agreed with all posts above. Specifically state your status when asking. I have initially been knocked back at the airport before prior to reminding the staff member of the benefit and it then clicked - I think she must have been relatively new.

The kiosks will only offer you fly ahead within 12 hours, I think - for example, I am often booked on the last flight of the day but if things are not too crazy I can arrange to work remotely or take the day off when I am meant to fly. Then I will take the first flight of the day, which requires staff intervention to process (and too early to contact Velocity via phone). So with the fly ahead benefit, I effectively gain an extra day at my destination which is a really valuable benefit for me.

A shame to read the OPs experience but yes again, if you have checked luggage, you must do it prior to dropping bags.

Agreed with all posts above. Specifically state your status when asking. I have initially been knocked back at the airport before prior to reminding the staff member of the benefit and it then clicked - I think she must have been relatively new.

The kiosks will only offer you fly ahead within 12 hours, I think - for example, I am often booked on the last flight of the day but if things are not too crazy I can arrange to work remotely or take the day off when I am meant to fly. Then I will take the first flight of the day, which requires staff intervention to process (and too early to contact Velocity via phone). So with the fly ahead benefit, I effectively gain an extra day at my destination which is a really valuable benefit for me.

A shame to read the OPs experience but yes again, if you have checked luggage, you must do it prior to dropping bags.
It is by far the best benefit of being platinum. Followed by Row 3-5 seating.

Ok…I think there might be something happening behind the scenes on this…as have had a new one just now.

Got on SkyBus in Mel just now and called the contact centre and asked for fly ahead on MEL-SYD. Booked on 8pm. Want 5:30pm.

She said yep fair class (Choice) is all ok, but we can only do up to 2hrs ahead on the ‘triangle’ (MEL/SYD/BNE) and only 1 flight earlier on all other routes by phoning up. Different rules at the airport she said, and they should be able to do it for you.

I said that is the first time I have heard that.

They may be trying to knuckle down on book the last flight of the day (pretty much always cheapest fare) and change to any flight that day.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Ok…I think there might be something happening behind the scenes on this…as have had a new one just now.

Got on SkyBus in Mel just now and called the contact centre and asked for fly ahead on MEL-SYD. Booked on 8pm. Want 5:30pm.

She said yep fair class (Choice) is all ok, but we can only do up to 2hrs ahead on the ‘triangle’ (MEL/SYD/BNE) and only 1 flight earlier on all other routes by phoning up. Different rules at the airport she said, and they should be able to do it for you.

They may be trying to knuckle down on book the last flight of the day (pretty much always cheapest fare) and change to any flight that day.
Has always been like that on the golden triangle, that was known/publicised right from the start.

"It’s possible to change to the flight immediately prior to the one booked over the phone. An exception applies to flights on the “golden triangle” between Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. For golden triangle flights, you can change to any flight up to two hours earlier than booked."

How close were you to departure? Once it ticks over 60 mins to departure then the call centre can't do it, the airport however can do it right up until check in close 30 mins before departure.

Regarding the two hour rule it's correct and always been the case when done over the phone. At the airport any flight same day is ok! Technically you can do the up two hours over the phone and if you still get to an airport earlier then can further fly ahead by talking to someone.

My preference is to not check in until at the airport meaning if I want to fly ahead I can do it myself via a check in kiosk.

Has always been like that on the golden triangle, that was known/publicised right from the start.

"It’s possible to change to the flight immediately prior to the one booked over the phone. An exception applies to flights on the “golden triangle” between Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. For golden triangle flights, you can change to any flight up to two hours earlier than booked."

Hmm, interesting…I hadn’t known that and believe have had done more than 2 hours prior before, but maybe I am wrong!
Post automatically merged:

How close were you to departure? Once it ticks over 60 mins to departure then the call centre can't do it, the airport however can do it right up until check in close 30 mins before departure.

3pm call for 5:30pm flight, booked on 8pm service.

Hmm, interesting…I hadn’t known that and believe have had done more than 2 hours prior before, but maybe I am wrong!
I have used it quite a bit from the start and have never managed to get it moved more than 2 hours ahead for the golden triangle. Other routes are a different story.
Perhaps you've had some very accommodating staff :)

I have used it quite a bit from the start and have never managed to get it moved more than 2 hours ahead for the golden triangle. Other routes are a different story.
Perhaps you've had some very accommodating staff :)
I've managed to fly ahead on the golden triangle more than 2 hours before via the call centre many times.

Although I did have an agent a few months ago who did a spiel about the 2 hour rule before asking for my preferred flight times. I guess it depends which script they're following...

I've managed to fly ahead on the golden triangle more than 2 hours before via the call centre many times.

Although I did have an agent a few months ago who did a spiel about the 2 hour rule before asking for my preferred flight times. I guess it depends which script they're following...
Yeah, I would imagine.
You could always call back and try again with someone else if that doesn't work ;)
I guess I have also been well aware of this restriction on the golden triangle so I haven't pushed it that often, maybe only 5-10% of my flights in the past.

I've also attached the exact wording from the VA site for this, for anyone interested.

Attachments

• Fly Ahead.jpg
    Fly Ahead.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Small sidetrack - have anyone tried to “Fly Behind”? If flying ahead is a benefit then it feels to me volunteering to take a later flight is beneficial to VA as well?😅

Yes, this 2 hour limit is referenced in the copy and paste I did in post 20

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back