Hold onto your legacy plans if they include free roaming

DrGear

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
I've been with Optus for like, 12 years, and 5 years ago I got my usual iPhone on a decent plan in 2019. Went up in price twice since I got it, but for $63 a month I get all the standard call and text inclusions, plus 160GB of data AND unlimited roaming in the band 1 countries PLUS 2GB of mobile data to use per month in those countries. I just buy my phone outright now as the missus works for Apple so it's better value that way.

I went to look at the current plans and the equivalent one, which is $62 a month, has 20GB of data more but gone is the free roaming. $5 a day for international roaming. $150 a month. If I only ever used the international roaming once for a 3 week trip, I'd be ahead forever. Luckily I tend to do for about 3-4 weeks each time so the savings are sizeable. I swear, I will hold onto this plan until the day they wrench it from me which undoubtedly, they will. If you're on a legacy plan, I'd hold onto them as there's no value in changing plans given how poor the value is these days. Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 11.32.27 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-15 at 11.32.43 AM.png

I’m surprised you still have one of those plans! Optus were shutting them down.

A lot of us were on the $50 pm plan that launched in April 2019, only to get “enhanced” the middle of last year…😔

A few of us were able to negotiate significantly reduced rates, bonus data etc. Which saved me quite a lot of money but the $5 roaming is very flaky if you try and use it on demand (ie not daily). So I eventually ditched Optus….. Bizarrely, their LCC sibling (amaysim) will sell you 12mths roaming calls/txt (capped) for $20. Use that in conjunction with a data eSIM and I’m still in front.

I’m surprised you still have one of those plans! Optus were shutting them down.

A lot of us were on the $50 pm plan that launched in April 2019, only to get “enhanced” the middle of last year…😔

A few of us were able to negotiate significantly reduced rates, bonus data etc. Which saved me quite a lot of money but the $5 roaming is very flaky if you try and use it on demand (ie not daily). So I eventually ditched Optus….. Bizarrely, their LCC sibling (amaysim) will sell you 12mths roaming calls/txt (capped) for $20. Use that in conjunction with a data eSIM and I’m still in front.
I’m surprised too. Normally they kick you off the plan like 12 months after the contract ends. This is my business phone though so maybe there’s something there which means the legacy plans stay available longer?

Good tip about the Amaysim thing. I rarely use more than 20% of my monthly data as I’m always near WiFi and my commute is 10 minutes so when they nuke the plan, I’ll be jumping ship and finding something cheaper.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back