How Early Do you Book a Cruise?

, I was sick to death of seeing the same people sitting in the same seats eating the same foods,

I know people cruise for different reasons, but I don't cruise to watch what other passengers do, where they sit what they eat or even meet other passengers.

I'm there for the ports and the balcony and a comfortable bed. Who is on board and what they eat it is irrelevant. I could go 14 days without speaking to another soul except the cabin steward. So 200 or 6000 passengers is irrelevant except the 6000 passenger ships don't go to many ports I want to go to.

My AMS-BUD was one of my best sailing experiences. Followed by sailing around the Galapagos (90pax)

We often forgo an included lunch if we have better things to do like sightseeing the place we paid mega to get there or eat local food

In more than 100 days of sailing only ever ate lunch on board while in port once. I'm ashore trying the local stuff.

I know people cruise for different reasons, but I don't cruise to watch what other passengers do, where they sit what they eat or even meet other passengers.

I'm there for the ports and the balcony and a comfortable bed. Who is on board and what they eat it is irrelevant. I could go 14 days without speaking to another soul except the cabin steward. So 200 or 6000 passengers is irrelevant except the 6000 passenger ships don't go to many ports I want to go to.

My AMS-BUD was one of my best cruise experiences.

In more than 100 days of sailing only ever ate lunch on board while in port once. I'm ashore trying the local stuff.
You'd be surprised, maybe not, the number of people who have to get back to the ship to have lunch.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

You'd be surprised, maybe not, the number of people who have to get back to the ship to have lunch.

On occasion I haven't had dinner on board; filled up ashore and not hungry on return. Let's face it the food on many ships leaves a lot to be desired.

On occasion I haven't had dinner on board; filled up ashore and not hungry on return. Let's face it the food on many ships leaves a lot to be desired.
On the next cruise there's an overnight stop. Many are vacating the ship for the night and staying in Kyoto. The port is Kobe and others are planning a Kobe beef dinner offshore.

The downside of booking too early can be cancelled cruises. We had 6 separate voyages booked for 2025,26 back at the end of 2023. All have now been cancelled.

A friend of mine met friends of theirs when a cruise docked in Hobart. Showed them round the town. Suggested they repair to somewhere nice for lunch. Declined - friends wanted to go back to the ship 'because lunch is paid for'. Unbelievable.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back