HSBC Star Alliance credit card in Australia

Has anyone tried to cancel this card? I read a few posts that seem to suggest the star alliance account with the points remain open even though the card itself is closed? Does that mean we can keep the points in there until we need to convert it to an airline for use?

Also, the Air canada 50k status - does that cancel right away once the card is cancelled? Doesn't stay around until the end of the year (which is the current expiry for that status)?

Yes cancelled the card when it was coming up to the year anniversary at end of July
Star alliance rewards account is open - I still have 4 points left but don't know when you lose the ability to transfer - it looks like in theory if I had points still there I would be able to convert them now so potentially would be able to store them there - hopefully they would tell you to move them before you lose the ability to move them

Yes cancelled the card when it was coming up to the year anniversary at end of July
Star alliance rewards account is open - I still have 4 points left but don't know when you lose the ability to transfer - it looks like in theory if I had points still there I would be able to convert them now so potentially would be able to store them there - hopefully they would tell you to move them before you lose the ability to move them
Thank you! that's good to know. i didn't really want to decide which airline to push the points to until i have a use for them. so this is great to know.

Hello

I’m excited to share an improvement to the Aeroplan Elite Status program—driven entirely by feedback from many of our members.

We’re introducing Extended Status Validity to make sure your Status benefits are uninterrupted during the busy winter holiday travel season. This means your Elite Status will now extend through to January 31, 2025, instead of ending on December 31, 2024.

Here’s what you need to know:
If you secure your Status for 2025 before the end of 2024, your status will be valid until January 31, 2026. Your Status will be extended automatically, and your 2025 Core and Select Benefits will be available by mid‑January, as usual.

If you’re expecting a downgrade in your Elite Status, in 2025, your 2024 Elite Status will be extended until January 31, 2025, giving you an extra month to enjoy your travel benefits. Your new Status, if applicable, will take effect on February 1, 2025, and your Core and Select Benefits will be available by mid‑February. We will start extending Status expiry dates in December.

Earning Aeroplan Elite Status will remain based on your activity between January 1 and December 31 of each year.
We hope that this improvement makes your Elite benefits more enjoyable. It’s just one of the ways we’re working to improve your membership experience, and this change builds upon like our recent improvements to eUpgrades and Status Passes, which are now valid for a full year from their date of issuance.

For more information about Extended Status Validity, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

As always, thank you so much for your Loyalty.

Sincerely yours,

Signature of Mark Nasr

----------

Received this

My understanding is that they will extend by a month and if you are losing status, you will continue to lose it a month later

But if you "confirm it before 31 dec 24, it will be extended to 31 jan 26

This card is the gift that just keeps on giving if you chose Aeroplan. No annual fee for the first year, 50,000 points, Marriott Gold status and now an extra month of status. Nothing to complain about here.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back