HSBC Star Alliance credit card in Australia

There was a UA 20k bonus points offer floating around after the AC one, but not sure if that is still on.

I've been approved for this card and need to select my Alliance. I'm torn between SQ and Air Canada. Are there any positives/negatives that I should consider between the two that I should consider please?

I'm trying to think of longer term strategies for status given the Velocity "enhancements".

I am a sole trader, currently without a dedicated credit card that I use solely for business purposes. From a book keeping perspective, it would make sense to separate things out.

I have a "service fee" that I pay each month as part of my business that I can only pay by bank transfer. If I used a service like Yak Pay for this payment, utilising this card to help meet the required spend to get Star Alliance Gold;
- would it be counted towards the spend threshold?
- would it be treated as a purchase or a cash advance?
- would they likely arc up as the only way you can use Yak Pay is if you have an ABN and this is a personal card?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back