IHG Hotels that recognise status

IHG seem to be offering bonus nights to speed your way on to higher loyalty levels.. Has anyone benefited.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hotel: Hotel Indigo Melbourne on Flinders
When: October 2024
Rate: $220/night for three nights (IHG Member Book Now, Pay Later rate)
Booked: 1 King Standard City View
Received: 1 King Premium (two-category upgrade, received an email the night before my stay)

Somewhat surprisingly this was my first time ever staying at an Indigo and I was pleasantly surprised! For those unfamiliar with this property, it's relatively new and is a rebranding and full refurbishment of the old Holiday Inn on Flinders.

Arrived just after 10pm, check-in was quick and efficient with one drink voucher provided as the welcome amenity. The receptionist proactively asked if I would need a late check-out and was able to confirm a 2pm departure straight away.

My King Premium room on the 6th floor was excellent with a huge almost floor-to-ceiling window overlooking Flinders Lane and Spencer Street. Everything in the room is very modern with a large TV, plush King bed, plenty of storage space, really good air-con, lots of power points, electronically controlled blinds, a decently sized table and lots of different seating options. TV only had free-to-air channels but did come with Chromecast functionality. A welcome card as well as bottles of still and sparkling water had been left in the room prior to arrival. The bathroom was surprising as not only did it have a double vanity, it also had a double shower! Certainly in the playful style one would expect from an Indigo ;)

Some small disappointments with the room were the lack of a coffee machine, basic tea/coffee options with no hot chocolate, an empty minibar and the relatively small size of the towels. All things the hotel can address for minimal cost and bring it into line with what I would expect from a hotel that sits in IHG's luxury tier. Some other points to note were that the heated mirror was exceptionally hot (to the point you didn't want to stand too close to it!) and some minor cleanliness issues such as a small stain on one of the chairs.

The hotel restaurant and bar is Bistrot Bisou, a partnership with Luke Mangan that serves a French-influenced menu. The restaurant serves breakfast as well as having some all-day options available for both dine in or room service. I visited the bar to use my free drink voucher and was offered only house beer or wine, however a ramekin of chips was also included. The bar has a happy hour from 4-7pm although I'm not sure what's included in that.

Unlike other IHG properties in Melbourne, the Indigo doesn't have a pool. The gym is fairly small and in my view seemed to prioritise form over function, there was a small amount of equipment and they seemed to care more about how it looked rather than how useful it would be to a guest. One cool and unique feature is the photo booth in the lobby, which is free for guests to use and lets you print or email yourself some mementos of your stay. Would expect no less from a hotel which is inspired by one of Melbourne's most famous photographers Helmut Newton! There is also a lot of art in the lobby and dotted around the property which adds some colour and luxury to the experience.

The location is extremely convenient, it's a five minute walk to either Southern Cross Station or the Yarra River / Crown and there are multiple tram stops within the same radius. Having the main entrance on Flinders Lane is nice as it is a leafy, calm street to step out on and if you turn to the right there are lots of great places to eat such as The Hardware Société and Grain Store - I visited both for breakfast on separate days and can recommend both!

Last but not least the staff at the hotel were great, everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Overall a solid option for visitors to Melbourne, I'd be happy to return.

20241007_093418.jpg

20241007_093502.jpg

20241007_131136.jpg

20241005_075249.jpg

20241005_102852.jpg

20241004_220937.jpg

20241004_221123.jpg

20241007_135033.jpg

20241004_221216.jpg

20241005_153000.jpg

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back