IHG Status - nights?

Rocks

I am trying to ascertain how IHG status and calculations work but the website is less than clear,

They say that points don't expire but i am wondering how 'nights' are calculated and whether they expire

If anyone has some experience I would be interested to hear.

Just trying to ascertain whether working my way through levels or if I need to be doing a lot of trips anually

Thank you!

Reward points don't expire but status nights are based on the calendar year.

This guide may be useful for you:

Reward points don't expire but status nights are based on the calendar year.

This guide may be useful for you:

Points don't expire is a benefit of Silver and above. For a club member points will expire after 12 months of inactivity.

That said, yes, its the number of nights stayed over a calendar year.

Thank you both . Probably not worth me trying to increase status this year then with current Silver Elite status?

I am Platinum with Accor but was looking at also chasing status with IHG or Hilton

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

If you book the cancellable rate with IHG hotels you should be taken to a page offering bonus points usually 1,2,3 or5000 points per night. The prices vary but can be as cheap as $19 for 5000 points. So a 6 night stay gets you 30000 bonus points. But these are very good bonus points as they are Qualfying points so that 30000 bonus points gets you 25% of the way to diamond qualification.
I requalified for diamond this year and for 2025 with less than 40 nights.

If you book the cancellable rate with IHG hotels you should be taken to a page offering bonus points usually 1,2,3 or5000 points per night. The prices vary but can be as cheap as $19 for 5000 points. So a 6 night stay gets you 30000 bonus points. But these are very good bonus points as they are Qualfying points so that 30000 bonus points gets you 25% of the way to diamond qualification.
I requalified for diamond this year and for 2025 with less than 40 nights.
I’m guessing you can cancel the refundable stay but still keep the qualifying bonus points to status? If so then one can “buy” if I may use that term 60,000 points through such a scheme to earn Platinum status. Interesting!

I’m guessing you can cancel the refundable stay but still keep the qualifying bonus points to status? If so then one can “buy” if I may use that term 60,000 points through such a scheme to earn Platinum status. Interesting!
If you cancel the stay the points disappear too so no not a direct buying of status.

If you cancel the stay the points disappear too so no not a direct buying of status.
Does it have to be a flexible rate for the bonus point offer to appear? What about using special rates to get a fully flexible booking would that trigger the bonus point prompt?

-RooFlyer88

Doesn't come up with senior rates or AA rates or even non cancellable rates that I have tried.
Does it have to be a flexible rate for the bonus point offer to appear? What about using special rates to get a fully flexible booking would that trigger the bonus point prompt?

-RooFlyer88

As I understand it, there are pre-defined rate plans that have been setup for use by the hotel. So there's a flexible rate, a flexible rate with 1,000 bonus points and so on - the booking engine just shows the difference between the rates. Sometimes you will see things like 5,000 points bonus being less than a 3,000 points bonus, it's just the way the rates have been setup.

I have seen bonus points rates pop up on advance purchase rates, but it is uncommon, hotels don't seem to set them up. Not sure if rate plans for other types of discounts exists with extra points options.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back