Interline through-check: CI delighting while 'the system said no' with AY

tdimdad

Established Member
I have to say that I'm delighted by how CI check-in agent was able to through-check me onto a QF flight while AY had struggled to do it the other way.

Going from HEL-LHR (AY), connecting to LHR-SIN (QF) and then a next day connection (9 h wait but departing past midnight) on a separate ticket SIN-TPE (CI), the AY check-in in HEL checked me in only to SIN, despite of Expertflyer hinting of an interline agreement between the airlines. A separate check-in in SIN was no drama except that the counters opened three hours prior to the departure and I would have wished to get it done earlier.

But CI has clearly equipped their agents differently and AY (and possibly QF, too, for that matter). In TPE, I was served by a *trainee* agent who didn't even bat an eyelid when I asked if they would be able to check me and the bag through to SYD, first on TPE-SIN (CI) and continuing on a separate ticket SIN-SYD (QF). They sighted my onward ticket, did a few minutes of keying into the system and - voila - BP's for both legs issued and bags checked through.

I just wish it was this easy on all airlines... :cool:

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

AY chooses not to through check luggage on separate tickets. Some airlines will do it, some won't.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back