Is Aussie Aussie Aussie an Appropriate Call in 2024?

I don’t think that, in the context where it came to the attention of the public consciousness, ie. when viewing sportsball tournaments, it’s any less appropriate than it ever was.

But yelling out on a flight … not offensive, but pretty boganey & cringe. Actually I don’t know if what they said is so much a problem, yelling out pretty much anything is fairly “look at me” personality-disordery.

Not really sure what can be inappropriate about it, many countries have a national call - eg. "allez le bleu" for French, "ole ole ole" for Spanish, etc. European countries are far from the most patriotic, but even they have these.

On the topic of whether to call it out on a plane, I am not sure what the relevance is, it's a bit of a "huh?" situation, but nothing to do with appropriateness.

Like the Kop singing "Allez Allez Allez"?

I think I first heard "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi" in 1994 Kontiki tour from a Broken Hill girl. Awful. Cringy. Something you'd only expect from a bogan and she was a country bogan.

I certainly heard it in the 70s at sporting matches.
Heard something similiar at Soccer matches in the 60s but although from an Australian citizen he was a Scot through and through. He was my uncle who was 6foot 8 which back then made him an impressive figure. The Scots team in those days was Gladesville so i went with him to their home matches at Gladesville oval which is long gone. if the lads were doing well he would along with a few others yell out oggy. sometimes Oggy, oggy. can't say I remember him using it 3 times.

And in 2007 I was part of a Fanatics group that went to the Cricket World Cup in the West Indies. We usually had the Barmy Army on our left, The South Africans on the right and the Sri Lankans behind us. Oi,oi,oi wasn't out of place.

But not on an International flight.

So which bit would you consider to be inappropriate? The patriotism, presumably because it excludes non-Australians or it's just cool to virtue signal about how embarrassing overt displays of patriotism are? Or is it the yelling in a confined space with seemingly little consideration for others?

I get "Welcomed"... the FA literally says "Welcome to (name nobody knows)" etc.
Then they acknowledge elders etc. as if they built the Airport.

I have literally had tourists asking me why we landed in (name nobody knows) I wanted to go to Brisbane...

Would prefer that than the Welcome to Country BS....or monitors that have words on for cities you cant even pronounce let alone know where they are.

Agree on this! Qantas makes it so cringe to fly on their services because of this nonsense - if anything is truly inappropriate, it is that.

I certainly heard it in the 70s at sporting matches.
Heard something similiar at Soccer matches in the 60s but although from an Australian citizen he was a Scot through and through. He was my uncle who was 6foot 8 which back then made him an impressive figure. The Scots team in those days was Gladesville so i went with him to their home matches at Gladesville oval which is long gone. if the lads were doing well he would along with a few others yell out oggy. sometimes Oggy, oggy. can't say I remember him using it 3 times.
Yes it was & is one of those group-chant things the Brits do so well, one half of the crowd would chant "oggie oggie oggie" and the other would chant "oi oi oi" ... the Strayan thing is actually stolen from that.

Wikipedia probably isn't super reliable on origins, but still: Oggy Oggy Oggy - Wikipedia
One origin-story comes from "oggie" being slang in Cornwall for a pasty, and that pasty sellers would get a response of "oi oi oi" when announcing their wares for sale in tin mines. Whether that's just a story ...

Of interest is the fact that Chelsea fans were chanting "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie - Oi Oi Oi" in support of some kicky-bloke by the name of Peter Osgood who played in the 60's & 70's. So Strayans didn't even change it before nicking it! :)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Still better than applause after landing.
My better half has seen that being appropriate once ... she'd been working in Russia 10-ish years ago for about 3-4 weeks, and the whole flight out (to Switzerland I think) she kept thinking how the super-dodgy super-corrupt every-single-person that you saw absolutely everywhere could get the 'plane turned around for whatever their corrupt reasons were, until finally it landed & the whole ordeal was over & she felt safe again. And she was interested to see how so many others on the flight had felt the same, the landing was like a huge outpouring of relief!

It ensures we know who the bogans are, if, somehow or other, we’ve failed to notice them. After the flight they probably immediately went to the nearest supermarket, so that they could leave a few trollies in the car park.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back