Istanbul to Ulaanbaatar and Beijing then onto Tokyo - Suggestions

Traveler999

Got a question for the brains trust. I intended to go to Beirut/Jordan/Petra in June next year for a week from Istanbul on the way to Japan but decided to give it a miss with current situation in Israel.

I currently have placeholders at DXB and AUH for 4 and 3 days respectively in nice Intercontinental hotels but it looks pretty hot. I then have a 40,000 American airlines miles cancellable booking to HND for a locked in stay in Tokyo

My question is I came cross a good fare of about $1,000 USD in business (not a special) from IST-Ulaanbaatar –PEK on Mongolian airlines. So could instead spend 3 /4 days at each location before a cheap flight to Tokyo. The IHG Regent on Beijing is right next to forbidden city and a good price both in $ and points. I am diamond IHG and Plat Accor.

This is on the tail end of several weeks in Europe so happy to spend just a few days somewhere interesting to get over disappointment of missing Jordan

Never been to any of these places should I stick with DXB/AUH or go the UBN/PEK route?

If you like nature/outdoors I'd recommend spending a couple of nights in the Mongolian Steppe/Gorkhi Terelj National Park. Its a very different landscape to what we have here in Australia. I spent a couple of nights there staying in a Mongolian Yurt and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ulaanbaatar as a city itself didn't inspire me much.

If you are into train travel, you could potentially look at taking part of the trans-Mongolian railway to Beijing. The full route is Moscow to Beijing via Mongolia, however with the Russia/Ukraine situation I'm not sure if the Ulaanbaatar-Beijing section still runs, but if it does a very different way to get between the cities.

Another thing to note is that on an Australian passport Mongolia is the single most expensive country in the world to get a Visa for. When I went in 2018 I recall the cost being about $400 for a simple tourist visa.

eek, I had not looked at visa prices. I am on a kiwi one so hopefully lower as its a miss otherwise. Train from Mongolia to PEK was my thought also but with only a few days I thought I would just have a quick look see before deciding to come back. I would miss Mongolia at $400 and transit straight to PEK then the fast train from PEK to Shanghai would be on the cards

I don't recall the Mongolian visa being expensive when I trained it between Beijing and UB (and then onto Russia) in 2010. 495 RMB at most according to the visa form I saved. But as you've found, it's now free till the end of 2025.

UAE will be warming up in June but that's not peak summer. Pretty much anywhere will be more interesting than DXB/AUH. Sounds like a good opportunity to check out UB and surrounds that may cost way more to do so in the future.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back