Jetstar/Qantas/Virgin cabin baggage dimensions - how strictly are they enforced?

Lima Yankee

I have a Samsonite B'Lite Xtra 55cm Spinner Carry-On purchased from Myer about 10 years ago. Its dimensions are 55 x 38 x 22cm, which is 115cm linear dimensions but strictly speaking is 2cm wider than currently allowed as cabin baggage by Jetstar, Qantas, and Virgin (56 x 36 x 23 cm).

I think I've only ever used this bag as cabin baggage on international flights, and when flying domestic I've always used it as a checked bag.

How strictly do these airlines enforce cabin bag dimensions on domestic flights? Will they allow +/- a few cm as long as total linear dimensions are less than 115cm? Or do I need to get myself a new cabin bag?

Posting in the Jetstar forum as I figure they are most likely to strictly enforce the dimensions.

On a related note, I also have a 48 x 34 x 23cm (105cm) bag which I recall buying specifically for domestic flights because my 115cm was ok for international carry on, but too big for domestic. But all domestic airlines currently allow a 56 x 36 x 23 cm (115cm) carry on bag on all fare types, except on Dash 8 sized aircraft, which I never intended to fly on. Was there a time in the past 10 years where certain airlines (maybe on certain fare types) did not allow a 115cm bag, other than on Dash 8's?

I can count on one hand ever seeing VA or QF measure bags at the gate using that metal thingy to enforce the dimensions. imo if your bag fits into the overhead bin, and you don't try to take the proverbial by bringing another big bag, you'll probably get away with it - and if you don't, accept it with good grace, let them put it in the hold and get a new bag.

I don't fly JQ often but when I do or am at their gates I always see staff weighing every single bag, even light-looking backpacks, with a credit card machine at the ready for payment.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Jetstar weight bags at the main ports, haven’t seen it at play in the smaller ports, but they have done it at checkin. I’ve seen the baggage check done in all major capitals plus Cairns. I don’t think the size is the issue, an extra 5cm or so nobody is going to notice. It’s the weight. Really delayed flights I’ve not seen them bother.

Jetstar is $75 on the spot fine should one get caught by the bag police at boarding, the staff told me when I asked that anything over 8.5/9kg they will ask for the cash or another re weigh if one wants to shuffle. However, is a few loopholes around that, ie keep the orange bag tag in tact and use for a future flight, board last or near the end as the bag police tend to walk off (no I’m not guilty of playing the game just what I’ve observed watching others play the game 😂)

Never seen Virgin or QF do anything.

I was on a Qantas flight from Christchurch to Melbourne a few days ago and 2 passengers in the first group boarding had cabin bags that looked to be normal size except they were expandable, like most larger cases. And they were expanded. The Qantas staff member at the gate made them put them in the metal frame and when they wouldn't fit the passengers were taken to the side and the bags were surrendered for checking into the hold. The passengers didn't look too happy but it serves them right for feeling so entitled, being first to board and potentilally depriving someone boarding later from overhead locker space. Well done to the Qantas gate staff.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back