Melbourne restaurants

VPS

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
All the other Melbourne restaurant threads are several years old. I'll be staying near Melbourne Central.

I'm not looking for fine dining (although that would be nice I don't think I'll get my expenses reimbursed) Happy to travel a bit out of the CBD.

Fish allergies so avoid Asian restaurants.

Tipo 00 - if you can get in!

Avoid the wee filled laneways. They’re mostly overrated now.

wow - it must be good - hardly any availability
It’s pretty small, but they do walkins. Get there really early (I mean 5pm - 5:30pm), maybe 6pm early in the week and you might be lucky.

The current hottest thing is Mercato Centrale. Definitely worth a look.

The CBD and Inner suburbs is awash in great eating so some more pointers will help to narrow it down.

Tipo 00 - if you can get in!

A favorite of mine. When I was travelling to and working at Melbourne Central a lot, my colleague and I would often dine here early say 5:30pm (easier to get a table) given we'd been awake since 4am having been on the 6am flight.

Sometimes when all the tables are booked they still had bar seating available (its a very small bar).

Went here on the Saturday night of the October long weekend, 3 floors of food options from burgers to pizza to pasta to seafood to cannoli and gelato. It was crazy busy from 6:30 - 8pm, crowds started to think a little from 7:30pm (as those with kids left) and was no drama getting a table from 8pm.

We started on top floor with Pizza and wine, then relocated to the bottom floor for the yummiest calamari and an ok lobster roll, and finished on the middle level with gelato.

Your order via QR code on the tables (different codes on each level) most places will deliver to your table but you have to pick up the calamari.

For finer dining most of my favourites are Asian fusion like Lucy Liu and Supernaormal. Avoid Serai (over priced and average).

Menu - San Telmo is always nice for Argentinean

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The CBD and Inner suburbs is awash in great eating so some more pointers will help to narrow it down.
Just good decent food at not ridiculous prices. I'd rather pay a bit more to have a decent meal though.

I'm not an early eater. I like a wide variety of foods just avoid Asian because of fish allergy

In my (probably biased) opinion, Melbourne’s best restaurants are not in the CBD at all. Maybe huge rents are the reason. It’s no coincidence that Attica, Brae, Greasy Zoe’s, Lavertine Hills, etc etc are not in the CBD. But (Brae aside) are not a long Uber away,

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back