Minimum connection time LHR after QF9 to BA flights

What is the process going from QF9 to BA in Terminal 5 airside? I would have thought it should be fairly simple like a bus or train between terminals, but it has been years since I last transited airside through Heathrow.

I've got a flight (on the same ticket) with a similar connection time going from QF9 to a Germany bound BA flight in early October which is why this thread piqued my interest.

Edit: Looks like it has been answered above

Cognac - do you remember how long it took?
Pretty sure I was through to the other side on T5 within 50-60 minutes of pulling up to the gate, but I can't recall exactly. I don't recall it being painfully slow or excessively quick at any point in the process, but I wasn't paying a super high amount of attention though, having just schlepped through an 18-hour flight.

I did T3-T5 QF1->BA last week, was fast because I got the bus 2 min before departure, and could use the fast track security. Was hoping to ask for an earlier flight at T5 service desk, but was declined. So I had to wait 5h for the connection. Good they have sleep pods in T5 lounge now.

If transferring TO T5, i always transfer landside, much quicker if you use egates and have access to the First Wing. If youre bags are tagged through or HBO you can do it in less than 30 mins straight into the lounge.
How does it work, and why is F wing access required? Do you take the bus and pass security?

How does it work, and why is F wing access required? Do you take the bus and pass security?

If you have a passport that you can use e-gates for uk arrival, you can clear the border in minutes, take the free heathrow express between terminals and then clear security again at the First wing in T5. There is never a queue at the first wing and goes straight into the lounge so if you have access it provides much better efficiency over the standard transfer. (noting that security would be required anyhow at LHR as there is no sterile transit)

If you don't have fast track access the difference is probably negligible.

Last edited:
take the free heathrow express between terminals and then clear security again at the First wing in T5.
I take the (free) tube, as it's more frequent (you could wait 15 mins for the HEX) and the ride takes pretty much the same time.

I've done the opposite BA to QF1, in my case I planned a longer 4 hours on one trip and a whole day in London on the other. QF9 is 50/50 early or late, at the end of the day single ticket means you'll be rebooked but at busier times that may not mean the next BA flight.
So, how much time would you need for BA from LIN (T5) to QF10 (T3), especially with the need to go through passport control (departing Schengen; I can't imagine it being done in LIN?). Can it all be done airside? [Checked bags will be on one ticket]

So, how much time would you need for BA from LIN (T5) to QF10 (T3), especially with the need to go through passport control (departing Schengen; I can't imagine it being done in LIN?). Can it all be done airside? [Checked bags will be on one ticket]

No passport control if you transfer airside in LHR. 90 mins.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

No
It does.

But I was entering the UK, as my connecting flight was to Scotland which is part of the UK i.e. a domestic connection. In that case you cant stay airside, have to enter and then re-clear security which is a pain.
No different to arrival international at SYD then onward to domestic transfer. Need to clear immigration pick up bags re check and transfer terminals. Bigger pain!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back