Multi city flights to Europe

Whining&dining

Established Member
Hi guys, I normally post over in the Wine deals (including "Secret" Deals) forum (which probably points to my main interest ;)) but my partner and I are heading off to Europe in September 2025 and just wanted to get some insider info on multi-city flights. We've flown into Europe and left Europe previously from the same airport, usually Schiphol as my wife is dutch, but we're looking at flying to the Netherlands first and then wending our way down to Spain (over a number of weeks) and leaving to come back to Oz from Barcelona this time around.

We're just straight out cattle-class flyers without loyalty points etc so there aren't too many complications on that score. We've only booked simple return journey flights in the past but are unsure of how to make the multi-city thing work for us, if any one has any information to get us started that would be amazing, sorry in advance if I've posted in the wrong thread/forum...

Use something like Google flight or ITA Matrix ie Multi-city Flight 1: Oz (insert your home port) to AMS* and then say BCN to Oz (but add a bunch of other departure ports you’d consider eg MAD, CDG, etc).

If flexible, put in a range of dates and which airlines / fares suit you. Google flights will usually take you to the airline or OTA website to book those flights. ITA Matrix wont but I find it more useful for searching and then just see if I can replicate the fare directly with the airline.

Most airlines will have a “multi-city” search function - some better than others. The QF one actually isn’t to bad because it’ll show same fare brackets (the lower the $ number, the more limited options and higher fare ought to give more options).

*if you can start somewhere, also put in a bunch of alternatives. You might find the Oz to Berlin and home from Madrid (as an example) is cheaper. Easy to get from BER-AMS-BCN via train or plane.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Edit: Syd posted his reply while I was typing mine but pretty similar advice.

We have done this several times with SQ and QR. It was all pretty simple.

As a first step have a play around with something like Google Flights, using their multi-city option, and see what sort of fares and which airlines pop up. This is easy to use and it is simple to play around with dates. You could then have a go on some of the most suitable airlines own sites to see if you can find an option to suit.

I just had a quick play using QR and selecting 'multi city'. Using my own location of Perth, as I don't know your origin city, I could find the best fare for Perth/ Amsterdam/Barcelona - leaving 1/9/25 and returning 30/9/25 - of around $2,000 per pax in 'basic' economy. This was actually about $60 cheaper than just doing a Perth/Amsterdam/Perth return flight on the same dates.

I have done literally that itinerary (SYD -> AMS -> BCN -> SYD) in Feb/Mar of this year with Etihad.

There is nothing special or complicated about it - just look out for airlines servicing both airports (there's a fair few), and you will know since they will only have 1 stop each way on the journey.

I also recommend google flights for this search, and look through multiple dates there and back - because often times airlines don't fly every day to every airport (especially BCN, which is a bit more seasonal). So just cycle through days before and after, +/- 2

I also recommend google flights for this search, and look through multiple dates there and back - because often times airlines don't fly every day to every airport (especially BCN, which is a bit more seasonal). So just cycle through days before and after, +/- 2
That’s why I prefer ITA Matrix. You can search by “calendar” and duration (basically X to X+7d).

If constrained, then specific dates +/- 2 days

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back