No middle name on MH flight issued by QF

hectorlo96

Hi, me and my partner are due to travel from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur with Malaysia Airlines in November. The ticket was booked and issued by Qantas as we used some of our QFF points. Upon looking at the ticket, I noticed that my partner's middle name is not on it at all (no middle initial, nothing). His middle name is on his passport.

Now, I know that QF has never had an issue with not having middle names on their flights, but this is our first time with MH, and we are unsure of their policy. I've tried calling both airlines, and neither of them can do a name correction, which I think is absolutely bogus. But now, here I am, panicking and stressed because I have had issues with names on tickets before, and I am unsure of what to do next. The option I have left is to cancel and rebook (which is never happening unless I know for sure it is going to be an issue)

Anyone that has flown with MH recently that experienced similar issues?

I’ve now got the same issue (booked via Qantas rewards on Malaysian to Nepal in business) just wanted to see if there was any current examples of it being ok out of Sydney.

I tried calling Malaysian and Qantas both said the other is the only one who can fix it… total runaround.

Last edited:
Reports, recent and longer ago across various airlines, indicate it won't be a problem:

Reports, recent and longer ago across various airlines, indicate it won't be a problem:

Thank you … this next week will be hell with anxiety but this helps.

Yes, I was having a feeling of deja vu.

Curious if peeps are entering middle names and that’s not going across or skipping that step?

I know mine defaults to middle initial. As soon as I try and change it, the system wipes everything and you have to enter full name etc.

Yes, I was having a feeling of deja vu.

Curious if peeps are entering middle names and that’s not going across or skipping that step?

I know mine defaults to middle initial. As soon as I try and change it, the system wipes everything and you have to enter full name etc.
I normally always book with my middle name as it’s on my passport but I did book through Qantas rewards so maybe it didn’t pull through as it was a different field or something??

Fingers crossed all ok for next week.

Has anyone ever posted that they were unable to fly/ enter a foreign country because of booking not showing middle name?

Angst abounds. 😉

Last edited:
Has anyone ever posted that they were unable to fly/ enter a foreign country because of booking not showing middle name?

Angst abounds. 😉
I actually had a booking on AA where my first and last name were back to front! I was bricking it until checkin and zero drama.

But recently, a QR booking and my name was all over the place. I rang to fix it and “computer said no”. They said I was at risk of being denied boarding so I cancelled and rebooked! 😔

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back