One night in SIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgeyhack

Despite the title, I'm not looking to act up.
But, I have a one night stop-over in Singapore on Friday 11th May and am looking for ideas on what to do and where to stay (area and hotel).
I'm looking to go cheapish on the hotel ($100-150 AUD maybe?), I will probably only be there for a few hours sleep, just enough to get me through the next day.
Having said that, it's gotta be clean.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, I've seen the Ibis mentioned in other threads too so it looks like it's the one to go with.

I should probably not recommend the hotels in Geylang as people think they are way too cheap and not clean at all.

On a recent trip spent 3 nights in 3 different hotels for a cost of ~$150 total. Rooms are clean, no in room mini bar but all 3 hotels had a fridge downstairs with cold drinks SGD1, had a great sleep, train station no more than 10 minutes away, plenty of options to eat and feel safe walking around at night. Only downside is bathrooms are a little small but it does not bother me....

IMHO,

Heaps to do in SIN, just find somewhere to leave your bags and go and do the markets and the hawker food stalls.

You can always sleep on the plane home.

Have a shower in the lounge in SIN and some breakfast as well.

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for but here it goes - I've stayed previously at Wanderlust in Little India. It's a funky little hotel, breakfast included and usually around $135 AUD per night. Lots of great little restaurants in the area (mainly Indian obviously), close to buses and MRT, interesting buildings and architecture.

The Ibis on Bencoolen is a good hotel. I stayed there for a week when I was there last year and have another nights stay next month. It's nothing flash, but it's clean and comfortable.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I saw this one in the Design Hotel book when staying at the Library in Samui last week. Pretty sure the guy that owns it has another 5 hotels of varying sizes, the one's he has in Shanghai and London were mentioned and pictured in the book from memory. Thanks for jogging my memory on this place as I might look to stay there a couple of nights in September but Marina Bay Sands will be pretty hard to resist as well. If you come across a good price for Royal Plaza on Scotts I would have no problems recommending it as it was fantastic and a great location when I stayed there.
I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for but here it goes - I've stayed previously at Wanderlust in Little India. It's a funky little hotel, breakfast included and usually around $135 AUD per night. Lots of great little restaurants in the area (mainly Indian obviously), close to buses and MRT, interesting buildings and architecture.

I've been to Singapore a few times and like to stay closer to the heart of the city but I guess that's a bit out of your budget. But you can try the WOTIF site and check their mystery hotels, they call them 'WOT Hotels', some of those are amazingly cheap. The trick is that you can 'crack the code' to work out which hotels these 'mystery hotels' really are. Some of the travel forums often list the WOTIF descriptions and tell you which hotels they really are. I have used them to stay at one hotel that's right at the corner of Orchard Road and Scotts Road for maybe $150, sorry but I can't remember the name of it but it's a decent four-star or maybe 3.5 star place, clean, air-con of course, even drinks in the min-bar are free! Do a quick Google for something like 'wotif mystery hotel crack code' or something and I'm sure you will find some good links.

I'd suggest hitting Boat Quay, lined with pubs and restaurants, grab a beer and some satay skewers or something, grab a table by the edge of the river and enjoy. Clarke Quay is further up the river and more 'upmarket' I find, I like the more 'real' nature of Boat Quay.

And because you said you won't want to 'play up' then there's not a lot more to do really, Singapore is eating and shopping and some nightlife, that's all there is! But it's also really amazingly safe even if you walk around at 3am!

I just remembered the name of the hotel in Singapore, it's the 'Royal Plaza on Scotts'. WOTIF has a normal listing for it but it's also one of their 'WOT hotels' mystery deals. If you go to the WOT Hotel description and copy a few things about the hotel's location or facilities from that, put it into Google along with 'WOTIF' and you will see the same description listed for the Royal Plaza on Scotts but the WOT hotel deal is so much cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back