Op-ed: Airlines Must Take the Seatbelt Sign More Seriously

I had an interesting flight today, CBR-BNE on QantasLink but operated by Alliance Airlines. The seatbelt sign was kept on for a while due to turbulence and eventually switched off, but came back on again while the crew were halfway through their breakfast service. The pilot announced that it would probably remain on for the rest of the flight due to expected turbulence, and indeed it was a bit bumpy.

Most passengers stayed in their seats that whole time but I was surprised that the cabin crew continued (and finished) their meal service while the seatbelt sign was on because I don’t normally see this on Qantas flights. Maybe Alliance Airlines has different protocols.

Selfishly, I was pleased that I didn’t miss out on getting a meal as I was quite hungry. But I was a bit surprised that the seatbelt sign only seemed to apply to passengers in this case.

Last edited:
I had an interesting flight today, CBR-BNE operated by Alliance Airlines. The seatbelt sign was kept on for a while due to turbulence and eventually switched off, but came back on again while the crew were halfway through their breakfast service. The pilot announced that it would probably remain on for the rest of the flight due to expected turbulence, and indeed it was a bit bumpy.

Most passengers stayed in their seats that whole time but I was surprised that the cabin crew continued (and finished) their meal service while the seatbelt sign was on.

Selfishly, I was pleased that I didn’t miss out on getting a meal as I was quite hungry. But I was a bit surprised that the seatbelt sign only seemed to apply to passengers in this case.
One would think there’s a company directive. Possibly the pilots estimated that the turbulence would be minimal from previous experience?

Which is a pretty good example of how the various QF pseudo airlines don't actually follow the same procedures.

On today's China Eastern flight from Shanghai to Singapore, the seat belt sign was on the whole flight. No one including the crew seemed to be bothered by it. It was a bumpy flight.

1000048945.png

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I was on an MH flight yesterday when the seatbelt sign came on due to turbulence. The crew made an announcement asking passengers to return to their seats, but an older gentleman standing in the aisle was having none of it.

A crew member then came over to him and directly told him to sit down, but the passenger just ignored her. He didn’t even listen to the crew member when she told him “we don’t want you hitting the ceiling”. Pretty poor effort from this passenger, despite the efforts of the crew.

That said, the seatbelt sign then remained on for around 3 hours, even thought the turbulence was over in about 5 minutes. During that time the crew completed an entire meal service and pax were up and about - just no hot drinks served.

Which is disgraceful behaviour from the passenger, and very poor procedures from the airline. Sometimes you did just wish you could nudge a bit of real turbulence, just to teach a few lessons. Of course it would never work out like that.....

I Found when flying on MH the seatbelt sign was on the majority of the time with Cabin Crew and passengers totally ignoring it and walking and serving food and drinks including hot drinks. It was a pretty poor show.

I Found when flying on MH the seatbelt sign was on the majority of the time with Cabin Crew and passengers totally ignoring it and walking and serving food and drinks including hot drinks. It was a pretty poor show.
Yea- pretty much the standard on many airlines, unfortunately.

I flew Emirates First (lucky me!) from Sydney to Dubai yesterday. Having my scheduled shower around 3 hours before landing which happened to be right when crossing India which often is a bit of a rattle in my experience. And, not surprisingly, as soon as I am in the shower suite getting nudie, the fasten seatbelt signs went on.

It wasn’t horrible turbulence but still quite noticeable and I hadn’t started my actual shower yet. So I wanted to do the right thing and put my PJ back on, ready to return to my seat. Neither the lovely spa attendant or any of the equally lovely cabin crew were having any of that and sent me straight back to my shower. I even asked whether it wasn’t safer to wait in my seat until the turbulence was over but no no, “perfectly safe” was the response, I almost felt a bit ridiculed for being so “overly cautious”.

Otherwise I had an amazing flight but that reaction by the crew didn’t sit well with me at all.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back