PJs before or after meal?

When do you put your Qantas PJs on during a flight?

• Before takeoff

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • After takeoff but before meal service

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • After meal service

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • I never wear them

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters

gdm73

Qantas
Gold
When do you prefer to "slip into something more comfortable" on a flight? Pre-meal or post? I am sometimes 50/50 depending on my mood and the time. If it's wine / party time I tend to stay in my boarding clothes until after dinner is complete, then settle down for the "night".

For night departures..

QF business: I'll usually get changed (and put the mattress topper/sheet on the seat) before takeoff.

QF first: there's usually no wait for the loo so I'll get changed after the meal service and ask an FA to set the bedding.

For day flights, I'm unlikely to wear the PJs at all.

Would never get changed before take off (for the same reason I’d never wear anything other than enclosed shoes). Imagine sliding down the escape slide and being caught on camera in slippers and big kangaroo PJs. Who do you think will end up on the cover of the telegraph?

If someone higher up can correct the grammar of my question, it would be appreciated (I don't have edit privileges..). Cheers ;)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Imagine sliding down the escape slide and being caught on camera in slippers and big kangaroo PJs.

First world problems I know, but I often go through scenarios when I am in the Emirates or Etihad showers onboard. Imagine the recent turbulence incident!

If it's a Qantas midnighter from LAX, I'm usually happy to slip right into the PJ's before takeoff and settle in with supper.

Would never get changed before take off (for the same reason I’d never wear anything other than enclosed shoes). Imagine sliding down the escape slide and being caught on camera in slippers and big kangaroo PJs. Who do you think will end up on the cover of the telegraph?
Yep, I usually keep my shoes on until after the seat belt sign is off.

But I’ll usually slip into something more comfortable - usually a BYO T-shirt (and PJ bottom) to avoid the meal landing on my clothes.

Definitely get changed after takeoff, just in case there is an emergency.

Then change as soon as the lavatories are vacant to be comfortable.

Ideally, I would be wearing PJs during the meal (just in case I drop food on myself!)

I find the entire PJ thing to be annoying. They just tie up use of the rest rooms for long periods at the start and end of the flight, preventing anyone who might actually need to use them from accessing the rest rooms.

I find the entire PJ thing to be annoying. They just tie up use of the rest rooms for long periods at the start and end of the flight, preventing anyone who might actually need to use them from accessing the rest rooms.

Need to go back to economy, usually they're only busy immediately after meal services. Usually post take off and pre-landing they're fine. 😂 :p I won't vouch for the cleanliness though, at least on certain airlines (QF in particular).

As with many others, after take off but before meal, Don't want to spill food on my clothes (if I'm going to spill any!) and more comfy but don't want to do it while still on the ground just in case (having been stuck on Nancy in SIN for a few hours before deplaning that ended up being a 6h delay, I am glad I wasn't one that changed - but did accept many top ups of the F bubbles :D ).

Once in flight and SBS off (unlike some other posters I don't consider it optional :D ) it usually takes time for meal service to start (specially on QF, but even on some others) so usually enough time to change.

I usually try to change back post brekky/pre arrival meal - which is usally the rush hour of course, so I may do a half and half prior - change pants for example and use blanket to cover. That way, if "trapped" by early SBS/long queue at least can get off the aircraft and quickly swap a shirt or top - but tbh have never had to do that.

(one "feature" of having a more forward seat - on QF at least - is being served sooner rather than later and thus finishing sooner than some others, so that gives a slight advantage for lav access to change while others are still eating - so seat location can also be a factor with decision making for me.

I usually try to change back post brekky/pre arrival meal - which is usally the rush hour of course, so I may do a half and half prior - change pants for example and use blanket to cover. That way, if "trapped" by early SBS/long queue at least can get off the aircraft and quickly swap a shirt or top - but tbh have never had to do that.

Same. I usually always try and get changed back an hour or so before final meal / breakfast. It freshens me up and a wake-up cup of tea is always appreciated after changing.

Need to go back to economy, usually they're only busy immediately after meal services. Usually post take off and pre-landing they're fine. 😂 :p I won't vouch for the cleanliness though, at least on certain airlines (QF in particular).
Urine-soaked potty room floors make great change rooms 🤔

When I found we were getting PJs in J on our Etihad flight next year (we didn’t last time) I was elated. My wife, in a rare grumpy mood declared “I won’t be putting PJs on”. Fair enough I suppose.

Our flight leaves at 9.50pm. After the introductory champers, I’ll be putting mine on before dinner.

I often don't use the rest rooms to change but do it in seat. Discrete use of blankets and a bit of in seat squirming and job's done.

In avoidance of any doubt, I only change "outerwear".

I often don't use the rest rooms to change but do it in seat. Discrete use of blankets and a bit of in seat squirming and job's done.

In avoidance of any doubt, I only change "outerwear".
er yes, wasn't going to mention this option, but have done this also. QF J, specially in row 1, makes this a lot easier.. and of course J classes with doors do too.

I get changed as soon as I get onboard, it’s the first thing I ask for from the FA . I keep my sneakers on with the PJs until after takeoff.

If for whatever reason we get taken off the aircraft then meh not fussed as there will be more than just me wearing the PJs.

Has happened to me twice in over a decade of long haul flights with this SOP.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back