PJs before or after meal?

When do you put your Qantas PJs on during a flight?

• Before takeoff

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • After takeoff but before meal service

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • After meal service

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • I never wear them

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters
I find the entire PJ thing to be annoying. They just tie up use of the rest rooms for long periods at the start and end of the flight, preventing anyone who might actually need to use them from accessing the rest rooms.
I have observed (or maybe noticed would be a better word) some people get changed under their blanket/duvet. I may have done it once myself if seated in a discreet location in J. Likely because I estimated the queue for the toilets was longer than the time between top of descent and when the seatbelt sign would be coming on…

I recall also following the lead of someone else equally pragmatic and getting changed behind a curtain at an emergency exit. I suspect it was on a QF A380 to/from LAX and in the descent phase. Lots of people waiting to get changed and not enough loos, so duck behind the curtain. FAs were clearly aware and may have even been suggesting it as an option. A sensible and grown up solution.

Oh, and while I have your attention: toilets or loos please; this is not FT! Lavs or 😤potty 👎… <takes self to wcmo thread> tic.

Last edited:
PJs on as soon as I board - often ask FAs for mine before most of J has boarded. Leave shoes on until after take-off.

I get changed back into clothes as soon as lights come on for breakfast etc. Great fear of getting stuck in PJs due to loo queues or seat belt coming on early.

For "a certain airline" with doors on J seats, I sometimes do in-seat, with covering blanket.

Don't want to be in pyjamas if the flight is cancelled and need to get off or in case of an emergency
This should always be the correct answer. It's hardly unknown for flights to push back and return to gate where everyone disembarks.

I always wait until we're into the cruise and the rush is over. Similarly, I will change as soon as I've had enough of (trying to) sleep and avoid that post-breakfast, pre-landing scramble for the toilets.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

This should always be the correct answer. It's hardly unknown for flights to push back and return to gate where everyone disembarks.

In that case for me (a PJ-on-upon-boarding type), I'd simply use the bathroom to change on my way out. Or do it at my seat, with blanket.

If its an emergency evac, then there would be worse things than going down a slide in PJs (I'd have my shoes on).

I have voted ‘never’ only because I just received my first ever pair of Qantas PJ’s a week ago and as the flight was from SIN-PER I figured there wasn’t enough time. Just over 4 hour flight. Must have been some good tailwinds. I have however worn them at home. I was super excited to finally receive a pair!!! It’s the simple things!

I'd consider wearing them if they made them look nicer; rather than the awful "Kmart Grey" fabric they use. One should not be seen in these with the lights on.

I'd consider wearing them if they made them look nicer; rather than the awful "Kmart Grey" fabric they use. One should not be seen in these with the lights on.
Although, First are somewhat better than the Business Eastern Grey look.

Although, First are somewhat better than the Business Eastern Grey look.

They're at least Target quality 🤣

For the life of me I don't understand an airline that won't let us have single use plastics, but it's OK to have single use clothing... 🤔

Last time hubby changed before take off and I asked what if we have to deplane before take off and he just shrugged/didnt care. Im more obsessed about making sure he wears slippers when he goes to the dunny than what he wears and when. The SQ FA did make a comment about him wearing Qantas PJs and he said he would happily take a pair of SQ PJs but they never appeared.

PJ before takeoff is a no no for me
What if you just put on the PJ and the flight gets cancelled or has to go back to the gate and everyone has to deplane for whatever reason
Also the last thing i want to do is to evacuate via the slides in PJs - not a good look.

Of course the aircraft may have to make an energency landing from cruise altitude but its about mitigating the possiblity of departing the aircraft in PJs

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back