Purchased a Qantas Flex fare but when I requested a refund they insist it is "Red-E Deal"

So after following up the bank several times about the transaction dispute I've just been advised that they can't proceed with disputing the transaction. Based on the fact that the booking confirmations from Qantas do not state that the fare was a flex, so there's no way for them to link my booking to the fare rules for a flex. Not a happy situation. I'll be sending a further report to the ACCC about this. And now considering again what my options for pursuing Qantas further are.
No good at all.

Rough as the ticket is cancelled already. Court would be one avenue but you'd be better to go with evidence first. Do you have any travel agent friends? You'd be surprised what can be dug up.

Is this another example of how rubbish QF is in not showing the paying the paying pax before paying and booking the category of ticket they are buying ..even for the sake of records and double taking before pressing "buy". Very disappointing.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Is this another example of how rubbish QF is in not showing the paying the paying pax before paying and booking the category of ticket they are buying ..even for the sake of records and double taking before pressing "buy". Very disappointing.
Have you actually booked anything on the QF site before?
It does give you the fare rules there. It only doesn't provide the fare class as in letter, it provides the fare type.

Have you actually booked anything on the QF site before?
It does give you the fare rules there. It only doesn't provide the fare class as in letter, it provides the fare type.
Booked plenty. Never seems as straight forward as other airlines though. So educate me....where prior to purchase will it tell me my booking class of ticket clearly so that I can tell if I can earn specifically BA tier points on the flight please.....? For example I can see it clearly when booking AY, IB, MH, QR....so if it's that clear on QF where is it PRIOR to pressing book. Thankyou. Fare type is one thing....class is the other.

As a result of this thread, I've started screenshotting fare class in MBB for all of my upcoming flights. Also made mention of adding it to e-tickets in the QFF survey received yesterday.

Hello, it's been a while but I've had some positive progress in this issue.

Qantas latest email response to me said that they still claim I purchased a non-refundable fare however they will make a one-time exception for me and have processed a refund for the remainder of the fare (the tax component was already refunded). Whilst they're still wrong, at least they say they're sending my money back. I have a small concern as the email quoted an amount in AUD but I had paid in CAD. I'm just hoping that's a typo and I will see the correct amount come back to my credit card soon.

The process to get here after the bank advised they couldn't reverse the transaction was to go to my local consumer regulator (CBOS Tasmania) who were actually quite helpful. Someone at CBOS took up the issue with Qantas which resulted in Qantas eventually making an offer to provide a voucher for the remainder of the fare.

Trying to make the long story short - I turned down the voucher offer. There was a little more backwards and forwards where one of their responses was word for word the same as a much earlier email in the whole issue, which made it seem like I wasn't even writing to humans. Around this time I got some advice from a relative who is a solicitor who made a very good point that I had not yet got any confirmation that my complaint had been passed to the Qantas legal team. So my last email simply asked for the complaint to be passed to the legal team, and I named their head of legal as well, and I requested them to confirm to me when that had been done. Their next response was to advise they had processed the refund.

So 7 months later and an unsuccesful chargeback and then requiring the intervention of a state consumer regulator and only the threat of referring to the Qantas legal department got the OP a satisfactory result? At least the airline didnt settle on the steps of the court on the morning of a court hearing so I guess thats progress? :rolleyes:

This seems like it is a recurring problem for bookings outside of Australia. I had the same issue from a CHC to SYD, business sale fare. It had a $150 cancellation fee but the agents repeatedly told me I had booked a completely non-refundable fare!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back