Putting cash on credit card

mrsterryn

Established Member
Due to forgetting to use the cash for its intended purpose I have a bit of cash which isn't required. Years ago I could pay cash into a credit card. Is that still something that happens lol ?
One is Macquarie and one is Qantas (?)
Less than $10,000 but more than I need to hold at home
I pay each month by bpay usually . Just curious if possible, otherwise I will just deposit back into the bank account (just trying to avoid a lengthy bank trip )

Due to forgetting to use the cash for its intended purpose I have a bit of cash which isn't required. Years ago I could pay cash into a credit card. Is that still something that happens lol ?
One is Macquarie and one is Qantas (?)
Less than $10,000 but more than I need to hold at home
I pay each month by bpay usually . Just curious if possible, otherwise I will just deposit back into the bank account (just trying to avoid a lengthy bank trip )
Is there an issue putting it back into the bank? With 5+ % savings interest, it doesn’t make a lot of sense having too much cash, positive CC/DC balances or even hedged foreign currency (unless the later was some cracking pot luck).

Is there an issue putting it back into the bank? With 5+ % savings interest, it doesn’t make a lot of sense having too much cash, positive CC/DC balances or even hedged foreign currency (unless the later was some cracking pot luck).
Actually have a rather large credit card bill this month and I was hoping to "cutout the middleman " so to speak. Lol a bit of spending

Actually have a rather large credit card bill this month and I was hoping to "cutout the middleman " so to speak. Lol a bit of spending
I’d still just go to the bank and deposit it the old fashion way.

Presumably you have a DD setup and the CC provider is still going to deduct the agreed amount (min payment or closing balance) regardless of any manual payment - which can be quite annoying if you make a manual payment and still end up in credit.

Last edited:
I’d still just go to the bank and deposit it the old fashion way.

Presumably you have a DD setup and the CC provider is still going to deduct the agreed amount (min payment or closing balance) regardless of any manual payment - which can be quite annoying if you make a manual payment and still end up in credit.
ING is our bank so I believe it is post office to deposit .
We just transfer the amount owing each month.
Definitely have been caught when we have had to return XYZ or cancel a flight.
Credit providers don't like $1000s in credit credit apparently

ING is our bank so I believe it is post office to deposit .
We just transfer the amount owing each month.
Definitely have been caught when we have had to return XYZ or cancel a flight.
Credit providers don't like $1000s in credit credit apparently
Ah, that one time you want the branch and they don't have one!

I transfer money back and fourth between ING and NAB, so don't have that problem.

AFAIAA

-there is no restriction on how many times or how much you can transfer to your credit card
- there is no issue with the credit card being in credit

Have done it lots of times with CBA and ANZ in anticipation of a very large upcoming CC bill and going o/s or on holidays and just prepay /overpay.

Never been paid interest on a credit balance on a CC.

Back