Putting cash on credit card

mrsterryn

Established Member
Due to forgetting to use the cash for its intended purpose I have a bit of cash which isn't required. Years ago I could pay cash into a credit card. Is that still something that happens lol ?
One is Macquarie and one is Qantas (?)
Less than $10,000 but more than I need to hold at home
I pay each month by bpay usually . Just curious if possible, otherwise I will just deposit back into the bank account (just trying to avoid a lengthy bank trip )

Due to forgetting to use the cash for its intended purpose I have a bit of cash which isn't required. Years ago I could pay cash into a credit card. Is that still something that happens lol ?
One is Macquarie and one is Qantas (?)
Less than $10,000 but more than I need to hold at home
I pay each month by bpay usually . Just curious if possible, otherwise I will just deposit back into the bank account (just trying to avoid a lengthy bank trip )
Is there an issue putting it back into the bank? With 5+ % savings interest, it doesn’t make a lot of sense having too much cash, positive CC/DC balances or even hedged foreign currency (unless the later was some cracking pot luck).

Is there an issue putting it back into the bank? With 5+ % savings interest, it doesn’t make a lot of sense having too much cash, positive CC/DC balances or even hedged foreign currency (unless the later was some cracking pot luck).
Actually have a rather large credit card bill this month and I was hoping to "cutout the middleman " so to speak. Lol a bit of spending

Actually have a rather large credit card bill this month and I was hoping to "cutout the middleman " so to speak. Lol a bit of spending
I’d still just go to the bank and deposit it the old fashion way.

Presumably you have a DD setup and the CC provider is still going to deduct the agreed amount (min payment or closing balance) regardless of any manual payment - which can be quite annoying if you make a manual payment and still end up in credit.

Last edited:
I’d still just go to the bank and deposit it the old fashion way.

Presumably you have a DD setup and the CC provider is still going to deduct the agreed amount (min payment or closing balance) regardless of any manual payment - which can be quite annoying if you make a manual payment and still end up in credit.
ING is our bank so I believe it is post office to deposit .
We just transfer the amount owing each month.
Definitely have been caught when we have had to return XYZ or cancel a flight.
Credit providers don't like $1000s in credit credit apparently

ING is our bank so I believe it is post office to deposit .
We just transfer the amount owing each month.
Definitely have been caught when we have had to return XYZ or cancel a flight.
Credit providers don't like $1000s in credit credit apparently
Ah, that one time you want the branch and they don't have one!

I transfer money back and fourth between ING and NAB, so don't have that problem.

AFAIAA

-there is no restriction on how many times or how much you can transfer to your credit card
- there is no issue with the credit card being in credit

Have done it lots of times with CBA and ANZ in anticipation of a very large upcoming CC bill and going o/s or on holidays and just prepay /overpay.

Never been paid interest on a credit balance on a CC.

I often deposit Cash into my ING Orange Everyday account at a Post Office. Online I then transfer it to Savings maximizer to collect interest. Need to put back to Maximizer to pay bills etc.

I have often transferred extra money into my ANZ Travel Adventurer VISA card when travelling / booking items which would exceed my credit limit; however, I called AmEX (Velocity credit card) the other day as I wanted to charge something over my credit limit, the agent told me not to do so (not allowed??) and suggested just applying for an increase in my credit limit which I did (online) - it was approved the next day with very minimal supporting (financial) documentation. (As an aside I applied to increase the credit limit on my ANZ Visa last year and it was declined - with a form letter advising me to check with the various credit bureaux - which I did and, no surprise, my credit limit was 9+ out of 10 - go figure).

I didn’t have the cash sitting on the sidelines but I did have the problem of paying for a first class airfare and insufficient credit limit

So I prepaid by BPAY over $10,000 and then bought the tic the day after it was on the account. That worked as a one Orf but I noticed later I didn’t get any CC points for doing it that way ….

That worked as a one Orf but I noticed later I didn’t get any CC points for doing it that way ….
Interesting... AMEX have told me previously that they can't guarantee points will be earnt when doing similar, but my experience was that the points credited as they normally would. Might be a luck of the draw thing.

Interesting... AMEX have told me previously that they can't guarantee points will be earnt when doing similar, but my experience was that the points credited as they normally would. Might be a luck of the draw thing.
Not the first time exclusions happen unannounced

Had a similar issue pre COVID where a Qantas tic ex Europe did get the base point but didn’t get the second Qantas bonus points because it was paid by a Euro based QF merchant not QF Australia

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back