Qantas Board renewal - Goyder goes

Not sure whose idea was it in the very first place to outsource the QF and QFF call centres overseas to become call centers, whether it was RG or the Board.
Now that VH says she will try to bring back the call centers to become call centres, with RG going, maybe VH's job in bringing the call centres back to Aust soil, will be easier.
Ie, it will cost a bit more, overall, but the satisfaction of us on here and of QF's customers overall, will be better of them (QF's) reputation.
Less drop offs, less trying to work out the best hours to call taking into account the time difference between Aust and other parts of the world, less having to do HUACA...
QF might have to pay off the owners of the overseas call centers, that are not owned by QF, to end their contract early, or let it lapse when the contract time ends.
Speaking Aust English is much easier, ... with an Aust call centre op than one overseas.
Time will tell I guess, if our hopes will come to fruition, or, goes no where as VH will still be money tight.
Who knows.

There's nothing wrong with overseas call centres but Qantas cannot manage them effectively. That is a failure of management and a failure of the board to exercise proper oversight - even if it's not their core responsibility, as such

Also, its the call quality too, that can be the problem with calling overseas.
As it relies on digital call lines over underseas wires, crackly, or drops off between words, or non clear convos.
Everytime my grand aunt calls my mum from the UK, it can sometimes be very clear, and very good, or it can be a very crackly convo.
Wiki says its called there are 3 different cables.
If QF/QFF expands its HBA call centre, and I can buy a QF comfort seat booking with just one call to a QF Aust call centre, I would be satisfied.
===
Just have to check out Youtube, people's perception of QF.
Esp Ryan So Fly, I am not him, and he is not me, but he does mention he dislikes QF.

Last edited:
Also, its the call quality too, that can be the problem with calling overseas.
As it relies on digital call lines over underseas wires, crackly, or drops off between words, or non clear convos.
Everytime my grand aunt calls my mum from the UK, it can sometimes be very clear, and very good, or it can be a very crackly convo.
Wiki says its called there are 3 different cables.
If QF/QFF expands its HBA call centre, and I can buy a QF comfort seat booking with just one call to a QF Aust call centre, I would be satisfied.
===
Just have to check out Youtube, people's perception of QF.
Esp Ryan So Fly, I am not him, and he is not me, but he does mention he dislikes QF.

Or better yet, allow you to buy a comfort seat when buying your ticket online.

Not sure whose idea was it in the very first place to outsource the QF and QFF call centres overseas to become call centers, whether it was RG or the Board.
Now that VH says she will try to bring back the call centers to become call centres, with RG going, maybe VH's job in bringing the call centres back to Aust soil, will be easier.
Ie, it will cost a bit more, overall, but the satisfaction of us on here and of QF's customers overall, will be better of them (QF's) reputation.
Less drop offs, less trying to work out the best hours to call taking into account the time difference between Aust and other parts of the world, less having to do HUACA...
QF might have to pay off the owners of the overseas call centers, that are not owned by QF, to end their contract early, or let it lapse when the contract time ends.
Speaking Aust English is much easier, ... with an Aust call centre op than one overseas.
Time will tell I guess, if our hopes will come to fruition, or, goes no where as VH will still be money tight.
Who knows.
Puhlease. spare me. The board do not have day to day decision making over such things. Goyder, for example, is chair of the AFL, Qantas and Westfarmers. The board do not make such decisions. They have oversight of the big picture like the CEO and big purchases like fleet renewals. I doubtthe issue of call centres cross the desk of the board during their meetings.

As for Goyder, he's doing a Gil McGlaughin and having a year's farewell which, imo, is ridiculous. The reality though is that no matter who is chair of the board won't "fix" things like call centres or all of the other things people are peed off about (rightly). Gpyder is a bad figurehead, but tbh that's what he is. How much influence he had in terms of retaining Jloyce for so long, or approving Hudson as the new CEO remains to be seen.

For me. this is about optics rather than reality. He looks to be hanging on for over a year.. for what? If QF is seripus about reshaping its image, than he should go.. even if he's not directly responsible for key decisions or choices. It's all about image.

All Boards are different in composition and culture. The Qantas Board became somnambulistic when it allowed Qantas management to engage in
(alleged) illegal competition and labour management practices.

The Board also accepted management's apparent view that it is best to be on the offensive with your workforce and is, therefore, best practice (not).

Qantas staff and customers deserve better. The key shareholders of Qantas are on the path to ensuring this, as eliminating lousy business practices enhances profitability.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Puhlease. spare me. The board do not have day to day decision making over such things. Goyder, for example, is chair of the AFL, Qantas and Westfarmers. The board do not make such decisions. They have oversight of the big picture like the CEO and big purchases like fleet renewals. I doubtthe issue of call centres cross the desk of the board during their meetings.

As for Goyder, he's doing a Gil McGlaughin and having a year's farewell which, imo, is ridiculous. The reality though is that no matter who is chair of the board won't "fix" things like call centres or all of the other things people are peed off about (rightly). Gpyder is a bad figurehead, but tbh that's what he is. How much influence he had in terms of retaining Jloyce for so long, or approving Hudson as the new CEO remains to be seen.

For me. this is about optics rather than reality. He looks to be hanging on for over a year.. for what? If QF is seripus about reshaping its image, than he should go.. even if he's not directly responsible for key decisions or choices. It's all about image.
He’s just hanging on because he has an overinflated opinion of himself, plus $3000 a day for the 12 month delay.

The chairman and board members should be held financially liable for company decisions under their watch.

Cheaper to replace with a hologram

Inevitable, but Richard Goyder has just announced he will stand down ahead of the 2024 AGM

"The Qantas Board today announces plans for board renewal in recognition of the reputational issues facing the Group and to support restoration of trust in the company.
This would explain why Joe Aston is out of a job at AFR. All the sources from his greatest bits came from either Uncle Alan or Dick Godyer!

-RooFlyer88
Post automatically merged:

With electricity prices?
No doubt the hologram isn't too costly to run in Hobart beside the only remaining Qantas call centre given Tassies don't use electricity (just hydro)!

-RooFlyer88

Under the circumstances will he, or should he, be stripped
of his membership of the Chairman's Lounge ?.
Is he a member of the Chairman's Lounge? I suppose so since the lounge is named after him (well his role, not his namesake otherwise it would be called the Dick Goyder Lounge). What will be interesting is if Qantas elects a female or non-binary Chairperson. Would they need to rename it? Perhaps they can embrace diversity, equality and inclusion principles and name the sexist name of the lounge to simply Chairperson's lounge - that shouldn't offend anyone!

-RooFlyer88

Is he a member of the Chairman's Lounge? I suppose so since the lounge is named after him (well his role, not his namesake otherwise it would be called the Dick Goyder Lounge). What will be interesting is if Qantas elects a female or non-binary Chairperson. Would they need to rename it? Perhaps they can embrace diversity, equality and inclusion principles and name the sexist name of the lounge to simply Chairperson's lounge - that shouldn't offend anyone!

-RooFlyer88
It’s a wonder that they haven’t already renamed it.

Would they need to rename it? Perhaps they can embrace diversity, equality and inclusion principles and name the sexist name of the lounge to simply Chairperson's lounge
Margaret Jackson was Chair from 2000 to 2007 and didn't feel the need.

Let's just rename it 'Chair Lounge', aka the lounge where there are seats available even at peak hours. Removes all connotations to gender.
Post automatically merged:

...don't use electricity (just hydro)!
You do have a knack for verbal humour! Especially coming from a Canadian, this is gold (sorry, now plat?).

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back