Qantas boosts international capacity, wet lease Finnair aircraft

Parents have a trip coming up (nov/dec), coming home via Tokyo. They are convinced that they are on one of the AY wet lease aircraft for HND-SYD. No matter how many times I tell them that it's only SIN and BKK to SYD flights, they keep asking about the AY J seats for their HND-SYD flight in Dec.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

flew QF291 - great crew and food. The Finnair crew seem to be really happy to be doing the Syd flights.

I was quite shocked with departure gate 26 at Syd airport - this is like a Jetstar holding zone for 3 flights (SIN, BKK and Seoul) going all at once by bus to non air-bridge birds, was a mess with ceiling wires all exposed during some kind of renovation. There was business class signs, but no enforcement it was a free for all. I was surprised that everyone got into the right line and right bus...
I flew QF295 (Syd > Bkk) earlier this week in Y and actually had a very different experience.

The boarding gate was a normal airbridge gate and staff actively policed the business class line/ priority boarding. Even rejecting non premium passengers who made it to the scanner.

Once on board, had a very different experience to what ive mentioned previously. First of all, the food. Wow! For Y there was so much. 2 main meals (good filling options) 2 drink services and at least 3 snack services (maybe more while I was asleep). This was both good and bad, we were well fed but the staff seemed really busy doing some food service all flight. They would start at the front and by the time they made it to the back of the plane they would start at the front again. This caused a problem with collecting plates, it was VERY slow. So slow pax started putting trash/ plates in strange places. I went to the lavs and it was the messiest lav I have ever seen on a plane. Pax had left their dirty plates from meal service stacked in the lav. By the time we arrived in BKK the flight looked like the aftermath of a wild party with trash throughout the aisles in the plane.

In addition to this, as a Platinum besides the ground benefits, on board I had 0 recognition. No intro and no advanced meal order. Which usually on this flight the crew have been pretty good about. However, I was near the front so the advanced meal order didn’t matter.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back