Qantas Delays/Cancellations

Not just the A380 but the A330-300 too - so many delays on that fleet recently
In the past week, Qantas cancelled three of its Sydney-Los Angeles QF11 flights on the A380 super jumbo. This is on top of two Melbourne-LA QF94flights being cancelled in the past 10 days.

A Qantas engineer said the company “keeps a lot of B787 and A380 parts in Los Angeles. That means a 24-48 hour delay if the aircraft breaks in Sydney and the parts are in LAX. This is just plain stupid planning and management.”But

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

@Bundy Bear , I wasn't quite sure what you meant by this:

How do you get out of Sydney airport departures i have hotel booking via Qantas

(If you meant that you need to go back into 'the real world', QFi staff will organise that as my understanding is they need to liaise with Boarder Force staff).

----------------------

@Bundy Bear , you were however correct to be worried, as it turned out. I feel sorry for you although these sort of overnight delays must be worst for parents travelling with babies and toddlers. Delayed businessmen and women would come a close second.

Your A388 tonight for QF11 was to be VH-OQD that has been in Sydney since arriving five minutes early at 0805 hours as QF12 from LAX.

While safety has to be #1, it's appalling that QFi cancels so many QF11s from Australia's only truly international city (sorry, Melbourne!) to the gateway to the 39 million population of sunny California.

Last edited:
Earlier today I missed the delay to QF63, the 1030 hours SYD-JNB that with A388 VH-OQI was airborne at 1134 hours with gate arrival suggested as 53 minutes late at 1703 hours.

Given the reliability problems with the A380s QFi has, it seems a mistake to have commenced this new route for that class of aircraft even thoiugh it's only five days a week, not daily.

No reason, original delay was engineering

My concern now is my flight back is on QF12 next Monday lets hope its not a Monday cancellation again.
For your sake I hope so - its fast becoming a lottery instead of an airline. Surely someone at QFi will wake up soon and realise that they can't run all these services with the number of A380's they have and that they need to drop at least some of the JNB services back to a B787. It is fast becoming a joke.

I don’t know why they can’t run QF11 at 8am tomorrow morning after the QF2 arrives around 6am, rather than waiting to 5:35pm.

The A380 fleet has more flex in it than previously but clearly disruption recovery is not at easy for QF compared to other airlines.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back