Qantas Delays/Cancellations

I don't think I would won't to be on that flight...
I'm not convinced that flight is going anywhere at the rate they're tracking. The inbound aircraft has been on the ground since 22:50 last night...

In more on Wednesday 9 October, as I predicted a few posts ago, QF4 was formed today by the arriving AKL-SYD QF4 that had earlier been to JFK.

'The 4' arrived in Sydney at 0932 hours, three minutes early with B789 VH-ZNH. It is abnormal for an 0935 hours scheduled international arrival to form a timetabled 1010 hours departure, so again, QFi must be short of properly rostered B789s.

QF3 took off at 1225 hours with expected gate arrival in AKL becoming 1653 hours, 108 minutes late. This is only 12 minutes before the timetabled departure at 1705 from AKL up to JFK.

A388 VH-OQB on the 1030 hours SYD-JNB QF63 was in the sky at 1207 so a 1707 hours, 57 late arrival at gate is the forecast.

A332 VH-EBV is operating QF51, the scheduled 1105 hours BNE up to SIN that was airborne bang on 1200 'high noon'. Arrival looks like 1751 hours, 31 late.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Tuesday 8 October in the USA has seen B789 VH-ZND operating QF22 from DFW to MEL, the scheduled 1940 hours departure airborne at 2059. Arrival on Thursday 10 should be about 0555 at gate, half an hour behind the timetable.

17:00 now. Poor souls. Really wonder at what point they declare the aircraft inoperable or the crew (replacement crew by this point?) times out and they give up.

To make an obvious comment, it depends at what time the crew signed on.

For flight deck staff, apparently they can work up to 18 hours (and if I recall correctly what @jb747 once said, they can mutually agree with the operations centre to extend to 22 hours.) On a SYD to BLR trip, you'd hope neither would be 'attained'.

Given the fluidity of this flight, it's indeed possible that a 'reserve crew' for both the flight deck and the cabin(s) have been brought in. I am assuming QFi still has these.

SYD airport's site now shows QF 67 to Bengaluru as "gate closed," so the 5th/6th time might be the charm today.

Incidentally, I also now see that QF 41 to Jakarta has just departed two hours late, and QF 43 to Bali is estimated to depart 55 minutes late (and assuming no further delays).

It is impossible for QF68 (tonight's BLR to SYD) to depart at 2355 as FR24 has been indicating for some hours.

Try 0045-0055 on Wednesday 9 October, which would be 420 to 430 minutes late. Aircraft is A332 VH-EBR not EBQ as had earlier been suggested.

It is impossible for QF68 (tonight's BLR to SYD) to depart at 2355 as FR24 has been indicating for some hours.

Try 0045-0055 on Wednesday 9 October, which would be 420 to 430 minutes late. Aircraft is A332 VH-EBR not EBQ as had earlier been suggested.
Partial off topic but related to delays as well - is the A330-200 more young than the 300 fleet? I know the 300 fleet is around 20 years old but not sure about the 200 series...

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back