Qantas international routes not resumed

The linked website post suggests the A380 will be reduced to 2x per week:

'eff 14JUL24 First Class reservation on A380 is now only available for reservation on Day 16 from MEL, Day 46 from LAX'
I wasn't seeing that last night in the GDS, hence the question. Interestingly when I run the same search this morning it's showing as zeroed out on dates where I was getting F9 yesterday. So disregard my q :)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Agree with this - QF23/24 (and the new Finnair operated flights) are so hard to get CR redemptions even in Y - and the J cabin is always full (even when I was WP I never got a points upgrade). I wish this would be a double daily route - the demand seems to be there but maybe even the J seats dont sell at a high enough yield....
MEL-BKK has the double daily on TG and there always seems to be J rewards available. I don’t know about their loads and yield but I’m surprised QF havent got a daily on that route

Will be interesting to see where the freed up capacity from the US reduction goes

MEL-BKK has the double daily on TG and there always seems to be J rewards available. I don’t know about their loads and yield but I’m surprised QF havent got a daily on that route

IIRC, the JQ frequencies on this route vary during seasons. It's usually at least x3 weekly outside of peak.

XJ had attempted MEL-BKK but got smashed by JQ on the low yield budget end and TG on the high yield leisure end, and withdrew after a year on the route.

Where are you seeing TG award availability? I've tried searching on Aeroplan and never see it.

It would be interesting to learn what HKG tourist numbers are like after the riots and what not

It would be interesting to learn what HKG tourist numbers are like after the riots and what not
The most recent three months of 2023 (that have data published - Aug/Sep/Oct) show total arrivals are more or less back where they were in 2019. That is to say nowhere near the pre-protest numbers.

I've omitted 2020, 2021 and 2022 since they're not comparable, but if we compare these three months you can see the difference:
20192019----2023
Aug5.9m3.9m4.0m
Sep4.7m3.1m2.8m
Oct5.9m3.3m3.5m

From HK Census and Stats Dept.

I picked those three months only as they're the most recent available for 2023 from the Stats Dept, and also the closest to their 2019 counterparts. May/Jun/Jul 2023 were still very low in comparison to 2019.

The most recent three months of 2023 (that have data published - Aug/Sep/Oct) show total arrivals are more or less back where they were in 2019. That is to say nowhere near the pre-protest numbers.

I've omitted 2020, 2021 and 2022 since they're not comparable, but if we compare these three months you can see the difference:
20192019----2023
Aug5.9m3.9m4.0m
Sep4.7m3.1m2.8m
Oct5.9m3.3m3.5m

I picked those three months only as they're the most recent available for 2023 from the Stats Dept, and also the closest to their 2019 counterparts. May/Jun/Jul 2023 were still very low in comparison to 2019.
Cheers! I was wondering whether HK had lost some of its shine - looks like people are finding it a much less attractive place to visit now.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the U.S. when the inevitable Trump-fed rioters go nuts.

20192019----2023
Aug5.9m3.9m4.0m
Sep4.7m3.1m2.8m
Oct5.9m3.3m3.5m

I am speaking as a person born in HK with Chinese heritage, the fact is that what happened in 2019 had destroyed many hker's hearts and they are leaving more rapidly than arriving. And also people do get fear on what will happen to them if the west and China go to possible conflict including war. I don't like to spread fear, but the case of 2 Michaels in China is a case in point on being hostage because of it

After the riots, National Security Law and the HK Government’s draconian Covid lockdown and border policy during 2019-2021, Hong Kong’s image is permanently damaged. It’s no longer the booming financial metropolis acting as a bridge between Asia and the western world. Really hope they can recover as much as possible though.

After the riots, National Security Law and the HK Government’s draconian Covid lockdown and border policy during 2019-2021, Hong Kong’s image is permanently damaged. It’s no longer the booming financial metropolis acting as a bridge between Asia and the western world. Really hope they can recover as much as possible though.
i disagree with you on 1 thing only - recover as much as possible - that will never happen as HK is dead even if the law is repealed. The people wont trust the HK government ever again unless it is back in UK rule :(

It’s no longer the booming financial metropolis acting as a bridge between Asia and the western world. Really hope they can recover as much as possible though.

Hong Kong's loss has been Singapore's gain. Anecdotal evidence of a number of companies moving regional HQ to the city state and one of the factors in the rapidly increasing rents in the private housing market in Singapore (up to 100% increases).

In 2017 we had a big presence in HKG along with other regional offices housing different functions in BKK and Shanghai, now all consolidated in Singapore (grown from 1 employee in 2017 to 130 now). HKG office closed last year.

When traveling in mainland CN nearly 20yrs ago we were told the CCP machine has been planning for decades to replace HK with Pudong as the financial capital and hence the huge investment and iconic building there across the river from the Bund.

When traveling in mainland CN nearly 20yrs ago we were told the CCP machine has been planning for decades to replace HK with Pudong as the financial capital and hence the huge investment and iconic building there across the river from the Bund.
I would agree with you on that statement when it was made 20 years ago, but i disagree now with Xi JinPing as leader, what he did to Shanghai is similar to HK now... The reason being Jiang Zemin was more into $$ and building China, but Xi is hell bent in returning to cultural revolution days

Shanghai can never replace HK because they don't have common law or a freely convertible currency.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back