Virgin
Silver
Oneworld
Emerald
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
Well folks, it looks like I won't be retaining Qantas Platinum this year having racked up a meagre 186 status credits (of which 50 came from Green Tier and 50 came from loyalty bonus), but did manage to somehow get the four squiggles on my Qantas card. For those curious between finishing off the last of my studies in my PhD thesis and writing up my PhD, there frankly hasn't been much time to do much wandering (aside from that month I spent abroad).

It's my understanding that I will be demoted to Gold tier, which quite frankly I do not mind, as aside from the LATAM Black benefit (via status match), I haven't made too much use of the Qantas Platinum status. Yes the First class lounge is nice and the occasional time where Qantas can open award seats for you is also good, but in reality Gold seems just right with its lounge access, complimentary seat selection across the board, priority check-in and extra baggage.

Am I correct in assuming that I will have Gold status for the next program year? Additionally, with this status that I'm being downgraded to, what are the requirements for retaining the status? Would it be the 600 to retain status or am I back to the drawing board and must earn the 700 status credits to earn Gold for the following calendar year?

-RooFLyer88

Well folks, it looks like I won't be retaining Qantas Platinum this year having racked up a meagre 186 status credits (of which 50 came from Green Tier and 50 came from loyalty bonus), but did manage to somehow get the four squiggles on my Qantas card. For those curious between finishing off the last of my studies in my PhD thesis and writing up my PhD, there frankly hasn't been much time to do much wandering (aside from that month I spent abroad).

It's my understanding that I will be demoted to Gold tier, which quite frankly I do not mind, as aside from the LATAM Black benefit (via status match), I haven't made too much use of the Qantas Platinum status. Yes the First class lounge is nice and the occasional time where Qantas can open award seats for you is also good, but in reality Gold seems just right with its lounge access, complimentary seat selection across the board, priority check-in and extra baggage.

Am I correct in assuming that I will have Gold status for the next program year? Additionally, with this status that I'm being downgraded to, what are the requirements for retaining the status? Would it be the 600 to retain status or am I back to the drawing board and must earn the 700 status credits to earn Gold for the following calendar year?
Soft landing to SG is an undocumented QF benefit. So not guaranteed but normal - unless of course you’re been bagging out about QF? 😉

But otherwise, retaining status from a softlanding is the same as normal retention.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

But otherwise, retaining status from a softlanding is the same as normal retention.
Good to hear that it'll be just 600 status credits (provided of course I get soft landed to Gold)
Not World Platinum anymore? Won't you miss the priority access to the showers?
Nah, I'll just settle for the business lounge where I know I can get a shower.

-RooFlyer88

You could always call and see if they'll offer you an extension (going rate seems to be 120k and I'm on a bit of a mission to find out what the SC cut off is to be eligible for the offer). When's your membership year end?

You could always call and see if they'll offer you an extension (going rate seems to be 120k and I'm on a bit of a mission to find out what the SC cut off is to be eligible for the offer). When's your membership year end?
Membership year end is November 30, 2024. Again, I don't mind moving down to Gold, as to be quite honest I'm not really using the benefits of Platinum. And certainly I cannot justify forking out 120k points to retain Platinum status. That right there is a business class award to the US or Europe. Was Platinum status nice? Yes. And probably the best benefit (fingers crossed) will be the soft landing to Gold next membership year, which I should be able to retain if it is just 600 status credits. As an aside, I'll likely be leaving Australia next year, so it will be interesting to see how I manage to keep getting those four squiggles (I'm planning on taking some JQ/QF flights to/within Asia).

-RooFlyer88

From what I have been told, it is about half of the required SC - below that it can be manually reviewed, Of course, they may have tightened up at any time....

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back