Qantas to Introduce Group Boarding and Bag Tracking

Flew CBR-MEL on QF last week. Arrived at the gate after boarding had started, and the ground staff were just boarding both lines simultaneously. They also weren't checking that anyone in the priority line was actually entitled to be there.

I find it disappointing that even after investing in all these changes, Qantas still can't get the basics of priority boarding right.

View attachment 413413
CBR isn't one of the airports operating group boarding at this stage, so you're likely stuck with the old process which was a dog's breakfast.

CBR isn't one of the airports operating group boarding at this stage, so you're likely stuck with the old process which was a dog's breakfast.
I was about to respond to Matt's post with that comment. A week ago, MrsK and I had our first experience of Group boarding for our MEL-CBR flight. It worked well, as the person in front of us (we were in Group 1) got the red light when he scanned his boarding pass, as he was in Group 2 and sent down the back.

It seems like the term "Gate Lice" is spreading too https://edition.cnn.com/travel/airline-cracks-down-on-gate-lice/index.html

Perhaps everyone had status being Canberra 😀😀

That could well be true, but even if everyone in the priority line was entitled to be there, Qantas should have finished boarding the priority queue before starting general boarding. This wasn't happening as both lanes were being processed at the same time.

If Qantas has no intention of offering priority boarding in CBR, maybe they should just remove the priority signage.

I've definitely seen people's boarding passes being rejected by the gate scanner for not being in the current group that's been called. Is that system not in place in Canberra?

I actually wish they get on with the rollout to all the cities and the Int'l routes. The a380s REALLY need this badly.

Your premium boarding has 144 PAX + status holders. That's most a 737 in premium pax alone and it can get mighty chaotic.

I actually wish they get on with the rollout to all the cities and the Int'l routes. The a380s REALLY need this badly.
You're in luck. They started trialing international flights ex PER on the15th. Given how successful it went, from today it will be all International flights ex PER and SYD, so a quick rollout from trial to live.

You're in luck. They started trialing international flights ex PER on the15th. Given how successful it went, from today it will be all International flights ex PER and SYD, so a quick rollout from trial to live.

The boarding gates used for QFi out of PER are problematic in the sense that there area around the gate isn't very deep. So it's quite hard for people to see what's going on near that gate and as a result, everyone lands up crowding around it. It's a rather poor design IMHO.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back