Qantas to operate 2 evacuation flights from Lebanon via Cyprus to Sydney

I do recall similar "come home now" rhetoric before the borders were shut.
You are partly right but missing the facts. It was not possible to change your travel dates and get on a plane home. Air fares quadrupled and more in that period and even gaining a booking did not guarantee you could fly and mostly people were bumped for higher fare paying passengers.
Believe me when I tell you I know, we could not get MsProzac onto a flight.

Quite different to current situation where there has been long term advice to leave Lebanon and in fact not go there at all. My thoughts are you would not stay so long unless you felt protected, so no, I am not in favour of the last leavers getting the royal treatment.

I am not in favour of the last leavers getting the royal treatment.
Couldn't agree more. QF clearly thinks it a PR stunt as QR is quietly also flying people back with no fanfare., Any altruistic act that costs the company money is only reducing their corporate tax liability that the rest of us have to make up for. It is us, the taxpayer who is ultimately footing the bill. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? <Self redacting the rest>

Couldn't agree more. QF clearly thinks it a PR stunt as QR is quietly also flying people back with no fanfare., Any altruistic act that costs the company money is only reducing their corporate tax liability that the rest of us have to make up for. It is us, the taxpayer who is ultimately footing the bill. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? <Self redacting the rest>

Both flights are chartered by DFAT.

If the competitive environment means the airlines both want to do it for free, that’s a good situation for the taxpayer (and a tax write off only gets back 30%). Although I’ve seen no reports that QR is doing it for free. If they are, you don’t have to be too smart to work out why, especially with current approvals requested.

22 years ago (almost) QF conducted one the largest civilian evacs in non wartime Australia. I think it operated 9 flights and 4500 pasengers.
I guess you are referring to the 2004 Tsunami ?
Let's not for get QF B707/747 participation in the evac of DRW after Tracy. I believe a QF B747 still holds the record of 697 pax and crew.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

QF was involved with the evac of the walking wounded and uninjured in the Bali evacuation. The triaging actually occurred on board the aircraft, such was the urgency in getting people out. My point is that this was a real evacuation - 9 flights, 4500 passengers

The current flights out of LCA of 2x787 and circa 500 pax. IMO it seems to a cynical me a bit of tokenism by the AU Guvment.
As I said QR/EK operates daily flights out of LCA: QR266 - A320, EK110 - B777-300 and from there to most Australian ports via A380/777.

Are the 2x787 flights prioritising the vulnerable passenger who would perhaps benefit from a non stop rather than a 1 stop. Assuming the 787 destination is also their destination, but some might need a domestic connection if not SYD

I would note for the esteemed member from the Montréal Convention, that Canada has also paid for flights out for Canadian Citizens, famlies and permanent residents. This was per a Globe & Mail article I just read. About 1k have taken up the offer, but also seats paid for have not been taken up fully apparently.

I have citizenship in 2 countries and eligible for a 3rd (Australia, UK and Norway). Don’t particularly identify any country as being “mine”. Don’t imagine I’ll need an evac flight any time soon but I don’t think I’d be thrilled to have people assigning my worthiness over words spoken in what is my 5th language…

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back