QF 29 Business check in, Melbourne, 2nd October

I arrived well in time, with no queue at the counters. However, the QANTAS check-in staff member lacked any people skills, to the point that most people would consider her rude. I left the check in desk lamenting that the only reason I was travelling QANTAS was because of the large number of frequent flyer points I've earned.

Her poor attitude was fortunately offset by the excellent Business Class cabin service, with one J Class cabin crew reminding me of what the "Old QANTAS", i.e., pre-Joyce airline, was like.

QANTAS has a massive cultural job to do. First, to free the staff from the "low-cost, follow the procedure" approach to one where staff initiative is rewarded, not crushed.

The second step, equally as difficult, is to persuade frequent fliers, many of who have flown with the airline for a long time (my FF no is in the 40,000s...) that the company has recovered the spirit of what the airline was like from its inception to 2008.

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I wonder if she was even a QF employee. AJ outsourced just about everything, except, sadly, management.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back